Own Epic CF-3s (love em), but need the rest!! Help!!!

SoldOnEpic-JT

I've got the Epic CF-3 Towers to work from. This site recommends the KLF-C7 as a center channel. Is this the closest match to the Epics? For surrounds - the site recommends the RS-3's, but is it as important to macth the real channels? I was contimplating some Quintets for the rears (real inexpensive on ebay). I am budget concious, as I'd also like a solid receiver. I have an old Onkyo that I was very happy with, but it doesn't have DTS or a preamp for a future sub. I was thinking about getting a receiver with a DVD built in. Any opinions on this?

I appreciate the feedback!

JT

Sold - I've heard good things about the Epics, but haven't heard them myself.

Re your rear speakers -- You are correct that it isn't as critical to match the rears to the fronts as it is to match the center, as far as tone/timbre go. However, you should be aware of the differences in sensitivity between the Epic CF-3 (100 db) and the Quintet (90db). That translates into the fact that you will need 8x as much amplifier power going into the Quintets as you have going into the Epics to match the volume. While you seldom will need the rear speakers to go as loud as the mains, that big a difference in sensitivity may make it difficult to balance the volume on each channel. Your amp/receiver may not have that much "adjustability."

Take a look at the SS-1s, which with their 94db sensitivity means you will "only" need 4x as much power to match the Epics Wink.gif. Maybe you can find a fire sale on RS-3s...

Good thing to not get a receiver with a built in DVD player. With the forthcoming changes in DVD/CD formats (SACD, DVD-Audio, etc...), you wouldn't want to be locked in like that.

Doug

JT - It will rock your world!! I'd like to hear a pair of Epics sometime. They have that funky design with the tweeter betwixt the woofers (there's a fancy Italian (?) word for it that I can't recall). Trey Cannon at Klipsch speaks very highly of the Epic series.

Enjoy!!

Doug

D'Appolito ... hmmm... wasn't she hooked up with that artist from Minneapolis formerly known as Prince? Didn't know she designed speakers, too!!

P. S. Posts like these are how I got to 880 without actually ever saying anything meaningful. Now, isn't there a great prize from Klipsch when you hit 1000? Or is that just in baseball...

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-11-2001 at 01:47 PM

Doug, the next time you're around my neck of the woods,

let me know and I can tell you where you can hear some Epics.And buy some too!New in the box!From a dealer,no less. Wavey.gif

Keith

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Doug, the next time you're around my neck of the woods,

let me know and I can tell you where you can hear some Epics.And buy some too!New in the box!From a dealer,no less.
Wavey.gif

Keith

Imagine my surprise, Keith, to read that you can find some new Epics, in boxes, at a dealer! (LOL)

Just where is Rolltide, AL? I looked it up on Mapquest, but it didn't find Rolltide. How would I know if I'm in the area if I don't know where it is? Little help here...

Doug

Well Doug,that's Tuscaloosa,Alabama.Forrest Gump played

football there,remember? A couple guys in Tulsa, Oklahoma were buying Epics from my dealer friend and I heard from one of them and he actually thanked me for the help finding them.Imagine that.This dealer had some Cherry Epic CF4's(demos)that were pretty beat up and his price was too high.But they are Classics and I like REALLY good value(steals)for my money.Anyway haven't checked in a couple months, but most people nowdays don't know what Epics are.Although I haven't had my hands around his neck here lately,his prices were as follows:Epic CF-1 $299 each,Epic CF-2 $399 each,Epic CF-3 $499 each,Epic CF-4 $625 each.Let me know if interested and I'll check on what is still available and get my cheapskate price for you.

Keith

PS Doug.Don't laugh.You'd be surprised what's still out there.Remember the NIB KSP-S6's for $340.I'm value conscious.

i feel you on this one. i had a simular debate with myself when i moved to up my system some. i have quite a collection of klipsch in my living room. sooner or later i will get it all matched up... but till then it works. i love my cf's!! only wish i could haev afforded the 3's when i bought them Smile.gif i ended up with the c7 up front, rs-3's on the sides and kg1.5's for the rear effects. i had thought about upgradeing my fronts, but i just could not imagine losing the cf's lol. i just do not know what to do... guess i just open that one up in it's own thread.. hee hee hee...