Buying Center Channel Tomorrow, Don't Know What to Do!

Dome

Tomorrow morning I am going in and buying my center channel, either the RC3II or the RC35. I can get a brand new RC3II (not easy to come by anymore) for 305 or the RC35 for 370. I demoed the two speakers today and now I am just totally confused. Honestly, it seems like the combination of the two would sound great. The RC3II seemed a little (for lack of a better word) brighter, where as the RC35 definatly covered the lower frequencies much much better. Which is more desirable for a center channel?!? (this is my first HT)

These will be getting matched to RF3II's by the way.

Oh, and what are some good demoing movies/CD's?

Thanks,

Adam Zeimet

----------------

On 6/28/2003 12:57:56 AM Dome wrote:

Which is more desirable for a center channel?!?

----------------

The center channel handles mostly dialog as far as movies go and on my system the center channel handles the singer and guitar if the singer is playing guitar. I have only music DVDs. Concerts.

I'd get the speaker that best matches what you have now. If the brighter of the two you listened to today is brighter than your front mains and rears then I'd go with the flater speaker you described with the better bass.

If it were me I'd want a speaker that BLENDS with what I already have and not one that stands out like a sore thumb. Since I have La Scalas in the front I'll probably get a set of Khorns for the fronts and use the La Scalas in the rear. Maybe a Cornwall for center front and rear.

Tony B.

What speakers are you using as mains? That would be the deciding factor for me...

RC-3II will probably match RF-3II better. RC-35 will match RF-35s better. Unless both match fine... which is possible.

EDIT: Matching across the front is very necessary for best sound. I can pick out differences in sound between my center and mains in the frequency areas convered by the woofers. The tweeters, though, being the same, sound the same. Get what sounds best to you- not necessarily what should match best... and yes, I just contradicted myself...

Dome

We were talking about this in another thread. I think the prices can be had lower. Did you try and talk them down a little. As for matching I think the rc35 matches better with the Rf3II. I think it is a perfect match. The rc3 did not go low enough. I have watched many movies and and it doesn't stand out it all.

By the prices you gave they should have a nice return policy, so buy both and listen to them. Take the one back you don't like as much. Hook them up to the mains for an hour or so to brake them in.

Good luck and let use know which one you like better.