Cornwall Rehab.

Gilbert

Hi Guy's:

Yesterday I went to Dallas to pickup a pair of Cornwalls that I bid on (and obviously won) at ebay. They're a pair of vintage 1967's 3.gif with the vertically oriented horns. I want to refurbish them to like-new ORIGINAL condition.

I've read alot of post by BB member "HDBRbuilder"; He really seems to know his stuff when it comes to careing for the veneer. So I think I'm covered in that department. I would highly recommend anyone looking to revive the condition of their oiled veneers, read HDBRbuilder's posts. He's definetly the man on Klipsch veneer.

However, I have questions concerning the following:

FIRST QUESTION:

I spent this morning carefully removing the old deteriorated interior insulation material and would like to know if anyone could provide a recommendation on what type of material to use as a replacement.

The texture of original insulative material is similar to good quality toilet paper (forgive me for that comparison), with about a 150 layers per insulative sheet.

SECOND QUESTION:

The previous/origional owner recently had one of the woofers replaced with a new one (K33). I would like to have the original woofer re-coned by a Klipsch Pro and would appreciate any referals.

Also, what is the new woofer worth? Should I hold on to it, or sell it?

THIRD QUESTION:

One of the speakers came with the grill cloth removed. The other has it attached. The condition of the grill on the speaker with it attached is about 95%+. Damn near perfect! The other (loose) grill is in 75% to 80%. It has a small wear spot that's about 3/4" to 1" in dia, it not a hole, but it bothers me.

Anyway, I would appreciate some advice for re-attaching the loose grill; Or, if possible, I would like to obtain new grill material and redue both speakers with it. The original material is mostly Brown with a tastefully beautiful touch of black thread weaved into it. Can anyone provide me with a speaker grill source?

FINAL QUESTION (for today):

ALL the internal components appear in very good condition. The speakers sound awsome. But, being that I'm going to have these beauties all taken apart for the insulation replacement and grill repair, should I go ahead and re-wire the components..... I'm thinking no, leave them original; But then mabe I could inprove them by re-soldering connections with a good quality wire.

What do you guy's think?

Thanks, and I'll send some photo's once when I get my digi camera fixed.

Good2:

The insulation is attached to the wood with brass staples. The metal is bronze'ish in color anyway. The string spans between staple connection points providing continuity helping to hold down the insulation. The string also appears to stitch the layers of tissue-like insulation together, but I'm not positive. I had to tear (carefully) the old insulation out.

The insulation was prematurely deteriorated (in one speaker only) because it appears the previous owner had repeatedly removed the motor-board. It's a tight fit to work a screwdriver, If care is not executed during removal of the screws that attach the motor-board, your fist/hand will rub against the insulation at the side. I don't know how the insulation on the back panel got to be in such bad condition though.

God I wish my digital camera was working!

See ya.

Thank you Hightone. That takes care of my FIRST QUESTION.

On another note, I finally typed-in the right phrase/words with the search engine and found some good advice and leads on grill cloth and woofer repairs.

HIGHTONE:

I SENT YOU A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH MY SHIPPING INFORMATION. DID YOU RECIEVE IT?

Gilbert,

With regard to your SECOND QUESTION: I believe the replacement woofer is about $140 from Klipsch.

The speaker repair company I use here in Dallas has quoted $55.00 to re-cone this speaker for me in the past year: Freeman -Tuell Inc. - 214-324-1132 an excellent company and will except shipments.

If it were me, I would get the original speaker reconed and sell the newer one to pay for it. This will then restore originality (which is a plus at resale) and I believe improve the bass in the repaired speaker.

FINAL QUESTION: I would clean all the contacts with ProGold. At a minimum replace the long screw (that goes through the back of the cabinet) with a stainlees steel one. Others would have you change to Gold binding posts. Rewiring is a contentious issue on the forum, but at a minimum I would replace the pressed on spades with soldered gold spades.

I hope this helps,

Mike