HT Wishlist

damonrpayne

A few comments come to mind immediately:

If you are going front projector, get a full size main (in your case, an RF-5) as center when you get the PJ. The TV will be gone, leaving room for the RF-5, and nothing will sound as good at center as another RF-5. If you think you will go the front PJ route, you might hold off swapping centers, since it would be a good idea to swap again when you do get the PJ.

OTOH, if you decide to skip the PJ idea, you might go ahead and get the RC-7 center......but I would not do this with a front PJ as a display (unless you are keeping the TV at the center position too).

I would also look at something a bit different on the amplifier. Think B&K, McIntosh, Rotel, Classe......something on the smooooooother side of town. The Outlaw's first watt isn't the greatest (typical of SS amps), but there are some good options out there. On amps in particular, think used, even if late model used. Power amps make good used purchases - they are hardy and don't change much over time.

The pre-pro is THE purchase here. Get this right, you will be happy. Given that you already have Klipsch speakers in the plan, the #1 most important choice has been made - here's #2. This purchase will greatly affect the sound of your system - it is the most overlooked aspect of system building, in both the 2 channel and HT areas. LISTEN TO THESE FIRST. If you can, try to arrange demos before buying - or at least have a return policy. Think of the pre-pro as the "sonic conduit" ......it is, besides the speakers, the equipment choice that affects the system sound the most.

I have no experience with the Aragon stuff, but would recommend the Rotel, B&K, Classe, McIntosh, and Lexicon processors. There's LOTS of competition in the pre-pro arena at the price points you are looking at (with a vast array of feature layouts), so be thorough, listen, and choose carefully. The prepro was the most difficult audio purchase I've ever made.

I've read such awesome reviews of the RC-7, I never considered getting another RF-5 for the center. I'm wondering if I will have issues buying a single speaker?

I will probably change the Amp. After looking at the total price tag, another several hundred bucks over the Outlaw isn't going to kill me.

LISTEN TO AUDIO NECTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have just finished my reference system. I gotta tell you if you can do something like this for around $5k, this will absolutely blow your mind!!!

B&K reference 50 preamp

Acurus A 125x5

Yamaha DVD-C920

Klipsch RB 5 II

Klipsch RC 3 II

Klipsch KG 5.2

Klipsch RSW 12

M&K MX-90

Monster M850/950/1000 series interconnects

There is nothing like separates. Outlaw Audio makes a great, affordable HT amp as well. I picked up the Acurus as a demo for $600. Jolida is another brand which sounds AWESOME with Klipsch. The great thing about the B&K stuff (ref 20 and 30 are fairly affordable, ref 50 goes for $2100 - $3000 depending on where you buy) is that it is ALL SOFTWARE UPGRADEABLE meaning you will NEVER need to buy another piece of equipment. To simplify, you can use the B&K AVR 507 if you don't want to go w/separates. I have NEVER heard my system sound better. It has evolved with brands such as Rotel, Vandersteen, Yamaha, Denon, Mirage, Monitor Audio, Adcom, and a variety of others. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE, spend the $$$ and go B&K. You WON'T be sorry!!!

9.gif