RC-3II Causing Television Distortion!

Dome

Just a few days ago I purchased a RC-3II. Today I noticecd some slight distortion in the corner of my TV. The closer the back of the speaker was to the front of my TV, the more distortion. Could there be something wrong with the shielding on my woofers? It is apparent on both sides of the speaker. If I move the speaker back a little on the TV, the distortion goes away, but could this still be causing damage somehow to the back of the TV tube?

Thanks for your help,

Adam Zeimet

Your speaker is unlikely to cause permanent damage to your TV. If the distortion goes away when you move your speaker, no problem. If it stays when you move the speaker far away, you have magnetized the shadow mask, it will probably go away the next time your turn your TV on and it goes through its automatic degaussing cycle. If for some reason this doesn't fix it, it can be fixed with a TV degaussing coil, a bulk tape eraser or sometimes even a refrigerator magnet.

As far as there being a defect in your speaker, my guess is it is OK. Magnetic shielding used in speakers reduces but does not eliminate stray magnetic fields that will affect the CRT in your TV set. Some sets seem to be more sensitive than others. And moving the speaker even an inch or two may have a significant effect. You have found at least one location where you have no problem. I suggest you leave the speaker there.

• 2 weeks later...

That's really funny that I actually ran upon this post. I too have had this problem when I moved my RC-3 II from below the tv in a compartment to resting on top the tv. I came home from work one day and the center channel was back in the bottom compartment and my roommates said they moved it because it was causing some interference. I was pretty incredulous because I knew that the speaker was magnetically shielded. Guess I was wrong though. Just shot Tech an email though. I also don't have a problem with too long/coiled speaker wire.

That's BS IMO. I mean why should we have to do stuff like that (putting the 1by in between)? I mean if it says it's magnetically shielded I expect them to be magnetically shielded. Do you still have the wood there or did you talk to Klipsch and get a new speaker? I'm not going to say anything strong yet because Klipsch has always been great with no problems (with the exception of my ProMedia 5.1's). Oh well, we'll see how this plays out.

i to have a tv problem that i relate to my home brew cornwall's. i attemped to turn on my tv the other day and it was dead. i tried manual as well as remote, nothing. i checked the plug, it seemed ok, so i pulled the back cover off and with a volt meter check both sides of the fuse and found 117.5 volts, but it(panasonic 32") will not turn on. the tv is only 6 years old. the cw's set about 3' away on each side. do you think the cw's are at fault? i never had a problem with this tv bafore. dave

Here is the email that Klipsch support sent to me:

----------------

All of our shielded speakers are tested before leaving the assembly line. It is very unlikely that part of the shielding may have been dislodged due to shipping, but something that shouldn't be ruled out. I would suggest returning it to your dealer and check it against one they may have in stock or with one of their TV's. The Gauss measurement on this speaker is actually below our standard of 3 and this is taken from the bottom and top of the speaker. The higher the number, the greater the possibility of color distortion. We have found some TV models are more susceptible to magnetic fields than others and Sony flat screens are the easiest effected by this. The

larger the flat screen, the more susceptible. But there have been a few other flat screen TV's that may be affected as well. There are other speaker manufacturers

experiencing the same problems with one or more different brands of TV's. You may want to position the RC-3 II on a shelf above the TV, this should help.

----------------

It did take them a little while to respond. However, I responded to this email, and their second response came pretty fast.

I just moved my speaker back a few inches and do not notice the distortion on the TV anymore. By the sounds of the email, they cannot 100% eradicate the stray magnetic waves from all the drivers (hence the gauss rating).