home theater room size question????

BnB guy

For HT I would recommend sitting against the long wall. That way you can put the sub in the corner and your surrounds on the side facing you (that's my set-up in a 13x24 room). For 2-channel sitting against the short wall would allow you to put your speakers in the corners which helps bass output and overall sound quality in most cases. The one advantage of using the short wall for HT is the ability to put your surrounds behind you on stands and add a rear surround. I guess it depends on your equipment also. Hope that helps.

orient along the long wall. my room is very similar, and i must say as limited, if you orient along the short wall everything seems pushed together, and the music seems to be rolling down a tube. as soon as i relocated everything along the long wall everything just opened up especially staging, before it seemed to be a very narrow-confused soundstage, now a very open laidback sound stage, , plus astetically a more open room12.gif

Just thought I'd throw in support for the short wall theory... as I prefer the short wall for both HT and music, from comfort and an acoustic standpoint.

Ideally the seating area should not be against a wall, as you will find yourself in some serious resonant peaks and nulls against a boundary. You can check this out with a test CD and a simple SPL meter. If you move the seats away from the wall, you'll end up quite close to the tv/screen if you have it on the long wall. The other arrangement (equipment on short wall) gives you more flexibility on where you position the seating area... and leaves room for the rear channels to be in the rear.

If you can move things around... try both options and see for yourself... 2.gif

Later...

Rob

i'll throw in a vote for short wall equipment placement, although mr.paul would probably choose the long wall-as seen in his 3-channel stereo setup.

in my ht room (12x23) it allows for seating about 13ft. back from the 106"screen, 3ft. of depth is taken up by the 'stage' and the middle of the left wall is an open 6x10 area, so it isn't 'confining'. careful toe-in-and-out tweaking provides a solid sound stage, yet i get sound from beyond the left and right of the speakers! my surrounds are about 2ft.behind me and 2ft. in front of my rear wall.

avman.