Boy have I been busy lately.....

maxg

Well amazingly I have been doing a bit of DIY (yes - me - Mr. Allthumbs!!).

And what did I build???

DSC00009.jpg?bc.t9A_As8itRxkm

DSC00011.jpg?bc.t9A_Acv7xRAWz

Yep - a pair of speakers. If anyone is interested I may provide full technical details but for now the following will have to do for reasons explained at the bottom:

They are made from solid wood (not MDF), are 60cm high and 40 cm deep/wide approx. This makes them slightly larger than the heresies - actually a fair bit larger - between the heresy and the LaScala.

The tweeter is a Horn as you can see, the midrange is paper and the woofer an 8 inch carbon fibre unit.

The box is sealed (not ported).

Whilst it is a bit early to tell, soundwise they certainly destroy the Heresies (bigger sound, deeper soundstage, more bass, less edgey, fuller highs and mids...

Sadly they do not seem to have the sensitivity I was hoping for. I would guess 90-93 dB but I havent tested it properly.

The good news is the bass must go down at least 10 Hz lower than the Heresy, maybe more - listening without the sub is no longer so painful, in fact, I am not sure the additional bass really adds anything worthwhile for most listening.

For what it is worth I would guesstimate the numbers as follows (proper measurements to follow later):

Sensitivity - 90-93 db/w/m

Power handling - 150 watts

Range - 40dB (?) to 36,000 (crazy tweeter)

Right now that is all I have. All I can say is that to my ear (and Tony's - who helped in the design) they play unbelievably well - so well in fact that, subject to the reactions of some other listeners, we may well go into business to sell them.

Just thought I would let you all know is all.....

So it seems I am the only one who can see the pics I posted. Typical - fooled me completely.

Attached is one of the pics. I will attach another one to the next response as I cannot tell if you can attach more than one file at a time.

Sorry for the inconvenience all...

post-6383-1381924829882_thumb.jpg

Firstly thanks Edster - that is what I wanted to do originally - I wonder why it only works for me????

As for the questions:

1. The design. Frankly my new found wodworking skills allow me to build a box and not much more yet. Therefore the speaker is a box. As for the crossover and speakers these were lifted direct from a speaker that my friend Tony (ex. KHorn owner) built some time ago. Those speakers were something of a disaster as he had tried to shoehorn them into tiny bookshelf speakers without ports. Despite this I could hear something from them that told me there was more to be had soundwise and I was convinced that the box size was the key. Add to that the fascination I have for the idea of using proper wood, as opposed to MDF and the whole thing comes together nicely.

I should add that the wood I have used is a soft wood, but very thick (slightly over 1 inch thick (28 mm)). This made it very easy to work with but still strong. It also, I think works in conjunction with the sound absorbing materials to minimize internal reflections. I have the feeling that harder woods would be more reflective and potentially more problematic but I may be wrong not having played with any yet.

2. Time. Right now I am not working officially although I am doing various things kinda part time. This has left me with plenty of free time and not being one to sit around in front of the TV I have been building a plenty.

3. Inspiration. I didnt even know ALK had built a Heresy on steriods although I would love to find out more. I too have been tempted to re-box the Heresy and swap out the woofer for something a little more punchy. Will investigate this further. As for my own inspiration - see above.

Well that's it for now. They do play well, real well - so who knows what the future holds....

----------------

On 7/4/2003 1:55:01 AM maxg wrote:

3. Inspiration. I didnt even know ALK had built a Heresy on steriods although I would love to find out more.

----------------

You didn't think those ENORMOUS muscles of his were natural, did you??

fini