looking for life after denon. . .

thxknight

I've currently got a denon dra-1035R 130wpc monster powering my RB-5's w/ M&K V-2B sub. I live in an apartment complex so I feel as though my denon is barely stretching it's legs before I'm blown out of the (small) room or the neighbors are knocking on my door. As such, I don't think I'm getting to hear what my speakers (or my receiver, for that matter) can really do. The times I've cranked them they sound great...

I'm looking for a budget priced integrated that will make my RB-5's sing without hurting my hearing or my standing with my landlord. I prefer to buy used and am not looking to spend over $500. I was raised on SS, but I have no aversion to trying tubes.

I've seen some used creek 4330's at prices I like, but thats the only one on my shopping list as of now.

Any other suggestions?

Me thinks that one need not apply the full weight of the volume control to one's speakers to fully appreciate what one's speakers can do. Conversely, if one must apply the full weight of the volume control to acheive the full richness of sound, this might point to a lack of qulity amplification.

Also, members can only suggest components that they have had success with, but not what will sound good to your ear. The RB-5's are great little music makers, and are not terribly fussy about SS or tubes, but do need a good quality source.

You did not mention what your budget was.

Find a dealer that will let you bring the amp home to test, or failing that, the RB-5's could go with you to your dealer.

Me thinks that one need not apply the full weight of the volume control to one's speakers to fully appreciate what one's speakers can do. Conversely, if one must apply the full weight of the volume control to acheive the full richness of sound, this might point to a lack of quality amplification.

Also, members can only suggest components that they have had success with, but not what will sound good to your ear. The RB-5's are great little music makers, and are not terribly fussy about SS or tubes, but do need a good quality source.

You did not mention what your budget was.

Find a dealer that will let you bring the amp home to test, or failing that, the RB-5's could go with you to your dealer.

Save your money and keep the volume down. If you like the sound of your Denon, then there's no reason to get rid of it.

Or buy a vintage PP vacuum tube amp of 40 watts or so, have it gone over by NOSValves (Craig), and don't worry about cranking the gains up to over 100dB (which a Scott or EICO is more than capable of doing anyways). You'll still be hearing the tube amp and Klipsch's full potential, and your neighbors will thank you for it.

Just my two cents worth...

I only mentioned the volume issue because it is my understanding that SS amplifiers function better when they operate closer to their rated output. The point being that if I'm only using 3-5 watts out of my 130wpc 95% of the time, perhaps I would get better performance from an amplifier more at home in a lower wattage region.

budget is <$500

And its not that I'm unhappy with my denon's sound, I think it sounds great. Its simply that I, as I would suspect most people here, get as much pleasure learning about and tinkering with my audio gear as I do using it.

i think you are approaching it backwards. you have the amp, and speaks you like, and you think you are feeding it too much to realize the speaks potential? wrong! look at my sig. and i am in an apartment as well. you dont choke something to make it sing prettier, and that is pretty much what you are suggesting, smaller is just that smaller, cheaper= cheaper, if you want better sound step up to a better reciever, if thier is a problem it would be the reciever maybe not being refined enough for you ears, not the power12.gif