clever trick in auditioning speaker wire

Parrot

That just proves subjectivity, what you need is a double blind test where the guy administering the test and registering responses has no clue as to what wire is used neither do the listeners. Speaker cable "A", "B", "C", etc. Then you have to do a statistical analysis to see how the responses deviate from just guessing.6.gif

bkrop,

What advantage would it be in this case if the demonstrator didn't know what wire he was using? Since he was actually using the same wire every time, I don't see why the test would be any better. Isn't the idea of double blind so that the demonstrator doesn't unconsciously influence the listenerers, maybe by making a slight change in his expression?

Exactly, no knowledge of what speaker wire "A" is etc. through all, then you have a 1:3,5,7, chance of picking right. You then compare the results with random selection and try to find the degree of confidence that you interpert the conclusions

The only thing I can really say is that there are quite a few "red herrings" in audio accessory sales - words that are really just hyperbole, nothing substantive. I try to avoid using these types of words both when describing differences I hear and when selling these accessories to customers...

Words like

Soundstage - someone please define this one - it's absolutely meaningless as far as I can see.

Warmth - again - a useless term to anything but a tube-driven mechanism.

Depth - c'mon, the third dimension of any audio reproduction doesn't exist until after the speakers!

Clarity - again, this describes nothing. Wire can affect the frequency response, but clarity of the sound? That starts in the recording studio and ends at the mastering engineer's desk.

There's more, but I can't think of any right now. Regardless, we as audio lovers need to start removing these words from our vocabularies, because they don't describe anything tangible and really have no basis in truth. They just sound good to our ears, so we use them.