iScan Pro line doubler...better than pro DVD?

jefnel1

I have recently been turned onto the iScan Pro line doubler. Never even knew this thing existed. What is it all about? Can it really produce a picture as good as or better than progressive scan DVD?

If anyone has this piece of hardware, I'd be very interested in knowing more about it. For instance, how will it work with a rear projection HDTV like the Toshiba TN61X81?

Any input will be very appreciated. I was almost ready to buy the Denon 2800!

------------------

A/V System:

Pioneer Elite VSX-36TX

Philips CDR-765

Sony CDP-CE345

Sony SLV-N60

Sony DVP-S530D

Toshiba TN61X81 HDTV

Klipsch RF-3 Mains

Klipsch RC-3 Center

Klipsch RS-3 Surrounds

BA PV-600 Sub

Monster Cable Interconnects

Monster Power HTS2000

http://www.jefnel1.com/hometheater/ht.html

Jefnel1,

I have heard many good things about this line doubler. Keep in mind most HDTVs already have a line doubler built in. It just so happens that the IScan is a better unit than most of the line doublers available in TVs. Another benefit, if you hook it up between you svideo out of your receiver and the then hook it to your TV as component video, it works on all sources coming out of your receiver.

This unit also does 3:2 pulldown. The benefit of 3:2 pulldown has to do with the number of fields/sec that you display can do. Most RPTVs run at a 60hz refresh. That means 60 fields per second. Film is shot at 24 frames per second. The 24 frames is not an even multiple of 60. So in order to map from 24 frames to 60 frames you take the first frame of film and display it 3 times, then you take the next frame of film and display it 2 time, then the next frame of film is displayed 3 times. Repeat the pattern for all 24 frame of film per second. When you add it all up, it comes out to an even 60 frames per second. This 3:2 pulldown eliminates flicker that results from dropped frames created by DVD players that do not do 3:2 pulldown so that they can meet the 60 frames per second.

As for comparing it to Prog Scan DVD, well there is a little problem. The IScan takes the analog signal coming from the interlaced DVD player, digitizes it, then reconstructs a progressive frame from 2 interlaced fields, then converts it back to analog. Some feel that the digital ( of DVD ) to analog ( from Svideo ) to Digial ( in IScan ) to analog ( component video to TV ) degrades the overall signal and produces a softer picture than a true progressive scan.

DVD Players like the Denon 2800 use the same chip that powers the Iscan, but eliminate the digital analog and back to digital by taking the digital off the DVD, creating the progressive frame from the 2 interlaced fields while still in digital, then doing a single analog out via component video.

These IScan units are very hard to get on a try and buy, so make sure you talk to others that use it with the TV you are intending to use. My Sony HS10 has a very good line doubler, and while I would get some benefit from the IScan (specifically 3:2 pulldown), it would not be worth the money spent. I am not that familiar with the Toshiba to compare the line doubler.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You may want to check at www.hometheaterforum.com. The have a lot of information on the IScan and comparing to prog scan DVD players.

Mike.

Mike hit it right on, there is some good info on that site and a few forums dedicated to the subject.

I just purchased a HDTV (Toshiba 50HX70)and have a Marantz DVD (DV3100). I was going to trade up to Pro Scan DVD (Marantz DV7100) but the cost of a "good" player is well over 1K(CDN). My local Dealer showed me the difference. First on the 2 $1300-2000 Pro Scan machines and then on my Marantz DV3100 ($350). There was a visible difference and the worse was the Pro Scan DVD players IMO. The picture was great but more centralized around the middle of the screen and the brightness seemed to fade as the picture pulled out into the corners of the screen. When he hooked up the iscan to my 3100(and same tv model), the same great picture but it was more full and definitely brighter in the corners to give a more full screen image, it looked better! IMO. Sure you can get better line quadruplers at 10K but the DVDO iscan at that price is great. You may want to check out Princeton or Focus Enhancements as well, they make a similiar line doubler to the dvdo.

http://www.princetongraphics.com (model PSC1500)

http://www.focusinfo.com (model Quad Scan)

Besides, my SVHS picture is a hell of alot better and once I go digital cable or sat I will hook that up as well, so I feel I get more bang for my buck for a $600 iscan line doubler (msrp). If you only want it for dvd then get a pro scan player, but for improving the other signals it's worth it. You may want to look at the V2 version, the Pro(more $$$) is more for PAL & SECAM signal users (Europe) as the V2 is designed for NTSC signals (N.A)and the Pro has just a couple of more features.

Try these links also for more reading:

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAR00/EQUIPMENT/equip2MAR00.html

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/Projectors/product_67204.shtml

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidprog.htm

anyway, up to you, if you get the opportunity then take the test drive.

Klipschorns(93)

Klipsch La Scala's(sometime soon I hope, right Klipsch)

C7(Hersey's to replace in 02 as c and rc)

Adcom AC-515 Enhancer

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

2-Marantz MA700 mono block amps(Khorns)

Marantz DV3100 DVD

Marantz MV5100 S-VHS hifi

Marantz DR4160 CDR

Marantz CD4050 tape

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV

DVDO iscan v2

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 05-17-2001 at 04:35 PM