Promedia 4.1 habits/care

MD1032

Hi, you've probably already heard enough from me about how much I love my relatively new Promedia 4.1 system. I have some questions for you guys.

1) IT BURNS!!!

This thing can get really hot while in use. If it's possible, I'd like to put a better heat sink on the back because the metal plate doesn't seem to be doing the job.

2) Muted but still hot

The back of the subwoofer stays warm even when my speakers are muted. This is normal because there's always some power consumption, but it's causing some serious heat problems in my room. Because my speakers are always off/warm or on/hot and my computer runs during the day, my room gets very hot, mostly because of the speakers. Is it safe to turn them off at night? I have them plugged into a really nice power strip, so I could just flip the switch on that. This ties into my next question.

3) Powering on/off

I have some serious concerns about powering on and off. You're not technically supposed to turn it on and off all the time. I've only turned it off about 5 times for this reason. The most recent times I've turned it off, it goes "EEEEEEeeeeee.....THUMP" and then the light goes out. When I turn it back on, it makes the same THUMP sound, but louder. Is this normal?

Thanks for all help as usual.

Well even on a hot day, the plate amp has never gotten to hot to touch, even when I do serious SPL ear-bleeding tests. It does get very, very warm however. I put a small but sufficent fan pointing at the back of the plate. No heating problems now, even when doing serious tests, never gotten warm since.

As for the powering on and off, no it is never good to do with any electronics. Yes I do get the "power down" sound when shutting the amp completely off, sounds thermonucular sort of. However, no pops come from my speakers, nor has the lights ever shut off.

The back gets pretty warm but never hot to the touch... don't worry it can take it I've had them for three years and they run perfectly.

It's supposed to be warm even when you are idling and not sending a signal there. I don't know what they are like when they are on and the PC is turned off because I always unplug em'.

I turn off the speaker by unplugging them and they make that noise. Makes no difference... still have been reliable.

----------------

On 7/13/2003 5:05:21 PM MD1032 wrote:

Hi, you've probably already heard enough from me about how much I love my relatively new Promedia 4.1 system. I have some questions for you guys.

1) IT BURNS!!!

This thing can get really hot while in use. If it's possible, I'd like to put a better heat sink on the back because the metal plate doesn't seem to be doing the job.

2) Muted but still hot

The back of the subwoofer stays warm even when my speakers are muted. This is normal because there's always some power consumption, but it's causing some serious heat problems in my room. Because my speakers are always off/warm or on/hot and my computer runs during the day, my room gets very hot, mostly because of the speakers. Is it safe to turn them off at night? I have them plugged into a really nice power strip, so I could just flip the switch on that. This ties into my next question.

3) Powering on/off

I have some serious concerns about powering on and off. You're not technically supposed to turn it on and off all the time. I've only turned it off about 5 times for this reason. The most recent times I've turned it off, it goes "EEEEEEeeeeee.....THUMP" and then the light goes out. When I turn it back on, it makes the same THUMP sound, but louder. Is this normal?

Thanks for all help as usual.

----------------

If it gets a little hotter or makes a little unusual sound.. it ain't gonna blow up on your face. Stop worrying about the speakers, probably the more you nitpick and worry about it.. the faster it will blow up.

"Murphy's Law

If anything can go wrong, it will.

If anything can't go wrong, it will go wrong.

If anything can't go wrong on its own, someone will make it go wrong.

O'Tool's Commentary on Murphy's Law

Murphy was an optimist.

Murphy's Law for Engineers:

The more innocuous a design change appears, the further will its influence extend.

Any error that can creep in, will. It will be in the direction that will do most damage to the calculation.

A transister protected by a fast-acting fuse will protect the fuse by blowing first.

Murphy's Law for Electricians:

Any wire cut to length will be too short.

The Unspeakable Law

As soon as you mention something ....

... if it's good, it goes away

... if it's bad, it happens."

9.gif9.gif

Anyway, can you guys reccommend a a small fan I can put on the back of my amp that's easily attachable? Also, will it void the warranty? It's just for my peace of mind.