Whisper Fans

garymd

My wife was getting her nails done tonight and as I was picking her up I noticed the nail drying fans. About 3-4", variable speed and virtually silent. I inquired as to where they got them and they said from a beauty supply catalog or beauty supply web site. I wrote the name and model down but don't have it with me. Seems to be the perfect size and everything. I'll let you know what I find out when I start hunting for one. Could be a great find. They told me if I couldn't find it they'd help me. My wife was rolling her eyes the entire time.1.gif

another option to quiet down a 115 volt fan is to put a capacitor inline on one of the power lines...

a 2 microfarad cap at 400 volts will cut the voltage app. in half ..... slowing down your fan and reducing its noise....

but as you said "It's pretty darn powerful for a 4" fan though."

probably even at half speed it would move plenty of air for your application....

this doesn't work with larger fans but it should work with a small fan 4 or 5 inches square..... i use this setup to help cool down my computer enclosure...

----------------

On 7/24/2003 9:51:47 PM minn_male42 wrote:

another option to quiet down a 115 volt fan is to put a capacitor inline on one of the power lines...

a 2 microfarad cap at 400 volts will cut the voltage app. in half ..... slowing down your fan and reducing its noise....

but as you said
"It's pretty darn powerful for a 4" fan though."

probably even at half speed it would move plenty of air for your application....

this doesn't work with larger fans but it should work with a small fan 4 or 5 inches square..... i use this setup to help cool down my computer enclosure...

----------------

You're right. I almost bought one when I got the fan but wanted to test it out first. I should've just bought it when I was there. I'd say 1/4 speed would do just fine for my open ended cabinet. I learn by my mistakes. I'm still going to get one of those brinkman's though. That was one quiet fan.