Whisper Fans

garymd

I need to buy a couple and was wondering what to get. I've heard it's hard to find real quiet ones. I know the Scott gets real hot and I assume the Macs will also. Since they will be in a solid maple stand under the tv with not as much room to breath as I would like, I think I need to do this soon. The Scott has about 8" of clearance above right now with about 18" to the back wall (I removed the back from the stand so it's an open unit) and the shelf above gets pretty hot. Not much heat seems to escape out the back like I hoped it would. Thanks for you help.

----------------

On 7/14/2003 4:16:29 PM garymd wrote:

I need to buy a couple and was wondering what to get. I've heard it's hard to find real quiet ones. I know the Scott gets real hot and I assume the Macs will also. Since they will be in a solid maple stand under the tv with not as much room to breath as I would like, I think I need to do this soon. The Scott has about 8" of clearance above right now with about 18" to the back wall (I removed the back from the stand so it's an open unit) and the shelf above gets pretty hot. Not much heat seems to escape out the back like I hoped it would. Thanks for you help.

----------------

Greetings:

You might try a Google Search - www.Google.com or they are sometimes called box fans, try Parts Express, MCM Electronics.

Just make sure they are A.C., have a little "cage" so the children won't get hurt (or you:) )

If the unit you're putting them in is against the wall, have the fans in the back blowing outward - no further comment or get your mind out of the gutter.)

Have you thought about any Interconnects yet? You should.

Also you want to get a can of CAIG de-oxit to keep the connections clean.

Good Luch,

Win dodger3.gif

Whisper or Muffin fans would be a good choice, but I wouldn't go with the AC variety. They are quite noisey when running full blast.

I'd get the DC type and run them at 1/2 to 3/4 of the rated power. The speed of the fan will be quite a bit lower and so will the noise of the fan. I've tried this and it works quite well. You won't need to exhaust the cabinet every 30 seconds or so. The lower speed of the DC variety will move all of the air you need to and at a much reduced noise level.

I've been trying to solve this for some time in my own cabinet without much satisfaction. I can either get airflow or quiet.

The fans I've tried include a mix of different PC-style fans from 60 to 80 to 120 mm. All claimed to be super quiet. I've also got a laptop cooler which I use below an UltimateTV unit since they get hot on the bottom due to the hard drive.

My next attempt is to try the panaflow fans. They are rumored to be the quietest, but we'll see. The one with the most promise is rated at about 21 db. The PC overclockers seem to be the ones with the most knowledge in cooling right now.

One other thing you might experiment with is a variable DC adapter from radio shack. They have one that can be adjusted from 3-12 volts (if I remember correctly), and it has enough juice to drive several small fans. By dropping it down a step or two from the fan rating it typically reduces the sound level substantially.

Please report back on any successes you have.

Thanks for your responses. I also spoke to my local vintage repair shop and they mentioned some type of cooling system for your entire rack. I'll find out more about that and post. Not quite sure what to do at this point.

Win,

I'll add the CAIG to my growing list of supplies you've already recommended. Thanks. I'm waiting for a catalog for potential cable/wiring purchases although I need to find the amp/preamp cable to connect the 240 to the 110. I guess I could go to Macintosh for that but I'm sure someone else has it cheaper.

As has been mentioned, you can take a 12v PC fan and feed it with a lower voltage. The air turbulance drops a lot and it still moves air. Overclockers on the cheap will use the difference between the 5V line and 12V line from the PS, and run them on 7 volts. If the voltage is too low they stall or won't start. I have a 6" fan from an SGI that will run pretty quiet at lower voltages.

I tried this on my case fans for my dual Athlon, but the cpu fans still make it sound like an old Electrolux under the desk. A KVM will solve that one day.

Marvel

Gary-

I don't know if it's feasible, but here's a trick from the appliance industry (Yes, I know I lead a glamorous life!). Rather than pushing air out of the box, try running ductwork away from the box and place a fan at the end pulling air. PVC is cheap, paintable, and will allow air to flow smoothly. Make your duct as short and straight as possible. It's easier to pull warm air upwards, but your CFM requirement is so low that you should be able to go straight down through the floor. Also a small "squirrel cage" fan would be quieter than a blade fan of the same CFM. Try http://www.mcmaster.com/ they have all kinds of fans, vibration damping, you name it!

middle atlantic has some very nice 110 volt "quiet fans" ..... they run much quieter than a normal 4.5 inch fan and still move quite a bit of air....

http://middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/cooling.htm#qfp

qfp.gif

for the ultimate in fan control....middle atlantic also has a thermostatic fan control.....

FC4IC.jpg

"The new Middle Atlantic Products progressive thermostatic fan controller extends equipment life and reduces service calls by varying the fan speed of up to four fans based upon temperature. The fan controller has 3 temperature ranges and can be set to operate the fan speed either proportional to temperature, or to come on full speed when the temperature threshold has been reached. This UL Listed device can also be turned on or off via a local switch, and includes status LEDs. The fan controller can be mounted to rackrail brackets or any flat surface, and is also available as an MPR series module and is manufactured from galvanized steel with a durable min-spangle finish. A temperature probe is provided with a 5 ft. wire. This controller is designed to work specifically with fans that are offered by Middle Atlantic Products, or other fans with similar specifications. Max load 1 amp/120 volts"

i use a dual quiet fan panel mounted on the back of my rack hooked up witht the proportional fan control..... very low noise and my pioneer elite receiver ( i use it as a preamp) gets cooled down without any extra noise....

i hooked a voltmeter to the fan control just to see what is actually happening....the fans kick in at 85 degrees at 45 volts.... the voltage and the speed of the fans increase up to 92 volts and it stays there ......

if i take the side panels off of my rack the fans actually speed up.... it is important to direct the air flow across the top of your components....

like the following illustration:

vbkventing.gif

Just for the time being, I bought a 4" whisper fan from a local electronics shop. After getting it home and attaching a regular wall plug to it I can tell you it don't whisper. This will do for now but I will be trying to figure out a better solution soon. I haven't yet checked into any of the sites you recommended above but I needed something for now. It's pretty darn powerful for a 4" fan though.