stripping/finish removal

T2K

I have a small mahogany veneer cabinet that I am about to refinish. The cabinet has a finish that appears a semi-gloss. I have used a fine grit sandpaper on the cabinet to test how easily the finish can be removed. The sealer/finish sanded away easily, but I noticed small specs of the finish in the pores of the mahogany veneer. I would like to remove all of the finish. Not knowing what the old finish coat is, I'm not sure what to try. I would like to leave the underlying old stain as is. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Keith

The chemical strippers are effective for sure, and have to be handled carefully or you'll burn your hands and anything else. With most of the finish off, it shouldn't take alot of stripper. If the specs are only in the pores, they would likely be pretty small and maybe unnoticeable. if you wanted to test finish a small area to see if you like how it looks. Worst case is deciding to strip off your test area and keep on with the stripper.

Dee