Electro-Voice EVM-12L Woofers work in a Heresy or Heresy II

Frzninvt

Yes, they will work in your Heresy IIs, but you may not like the results. For one thing, they are 5 or 6 dB more efficient that the K-24. That will drastically upset the balance between the woofer and the squawker and tweeter. You sure will be able to play loud, though.

All in all, not a good choice IMHO.

Save your money. I checked the speakers you listed, they are not woofers. They are guitar speakers. They are designed, built, and voiced specifically for guitar amplification. I know this because I use two of them with my Mesa/Boogie Mark IV guitar amp. Their frequency range is 80hz to 5000hz. They will suck as woofers.

Those are the drivers used in the HIP(Heresy Industrial Ported).

I can show you how to change the regular Heresy E type network so as to work properly with these woofers.

You will HAVE to use a sub, the HIP was only rated to 90hz or so.

Above 200hz these are the same dB as the Klipschorn.

I've run the HIPs bi-amped at 100hz with four JBL2235 subs, with the HIPs right on top of the Klipschorns. They can eat the Klipschorns.

The JBLs were the size of two big chest deep freezers, today a single long stroke 18" with a couple of KW will do the same in a small box.

Just depends on what you want to do.

----------------

On 7/19/2003 5:37:00 PM djk wrote:

Those are the drivers used in the HIP(Heresy Industrial Ported).

----------------

Are these HIP's listed on the Klipsch site? I can't seem to find them. I find it highly unusual that Klipsch would use a speaker designed specifically for guitar in one of their speaker systems.

Yes I recall the JBL 2235 woofer it was a 15" driver if I am not mistaken, I had one in my JBL B380 Passive subwoofer. The magnet on that 15" woofer is almost as large as the cast frame of the woofer, it is HUGE! 4" Voice coil as well, and you had four of them! Must have been tremendous! Those EV woofers just look mean, the low end frequency response is less than desireable though. I think I will just find myself a pair of HIP's just to mess around with I don't like the looks of the wedge shaped ones but love the looks of the ones that have the aluminum trim with the fiberglassed surfaces and the shape of a regular Heresy. Thanks for the assistance guys!

When my Cornwalls needed rebuilding (they lived through a house fire- thank GOD), I replaced the stock drivers with some PA speakers I had in some monitors, since I'm an ex sound-engineer and happen to have that like of stuff lying around the barn. In my case they were Electro-voice 15" and I think they were EVM15B (orL). If memory serves, they were a bit more efficient and a little peaky in the low end, but no more so than the LaScalas with stock speakers- just look at the frequency curve on those at 400HZ! They sounded pretty darn good to me, until my stock cones came back from reconing.

Any rate, if it's a cheap fix, probably no big harm, of course, being purists, we'd rather see you fix em up right! If your originals are blown DON"T THROW THEM AWAY- save the frames and if the voice coil gap is not scored, you can have them reconed. Look for a rock and roll electronics repair center- they do this work all the time and it's way cheaper than buying new drivers!

Michael