KG 5.5 and SS.1 or SS.5 surrounds

kevmeist

I have a pair of KG 5.5s and am looking to add a center and surrounds. Having looked at stores showing SS.1 and SS.5 as well as SC.5 center channels...are these sonically matched?

I saw references on the forums to using older KG2.2 and 4.2 speakers but these are larger than I wish to put in the room. SS.1 and SS.5 can be easily wall-mounted.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Those are probably not sonically matched. Klipsch recommends a KV-3 center, but the midbass woofers are not matched in those either (I can hear a difference). If I were you, I would look for a KG-2.5V for center, and perhaps some KG-2.5's for rears. They are good little speakers (I have two pairs). You are not limited to those, though. Any KG-x.5 series will match pretty well.

As far as easily placeable... ya I suppose SS.1's are easier to place than KG-2.5's...

It's just a fact that smaller drivers just cannot keep with larger ones (all things being equal). If you must make a compromise then do it on the rear speakers, but NOT on the center channel speaker. Using a center channel speaker that is too small and therefore cannot keep up with your large mains would be a waste of your money and yield a very weak HT experience. Matching the three front the speakers as closely as possible is essential for a good HT experience. At the very least, you should get a KV-3 (or KG2.5V or KG2.2V) and not the SC-.5 or SC-1

----------------

On 7/20/2003 2:22:10 PM trespasser_guy wrote:

Those are probably not sonically matched. Klipsch recommends a KV-3 center, but the midbass woofers are not matched in those either (I can hear a difference). If I were you, I would look for a KG-2.5V for center, and perhaps some KG-2.5's for rears. They are good little speakers (I have two pairs). You are not limited to those, though. Any KG-x.5 series will match pretty well.

----------------

So you are saving the woofers in the KV-3 don't match well with the KG5.5s, but the woofers in the KG2.5V do? You are aware that both of those speakers use the exact same K-1019-SV woofer, right? That makes your statement (if I read it correctly) sound a little bit absurd. Maybe you heard a "bad" KV-3 or something.

I say either speaker you mentioned would work fairly well (and better than any current production model), but to get a really nice center for the KG5.5s you need to use a speaker that uses the same horn tweeter. The KG5.5, KG4.5, KG5.2, and KG4.2 all use the same K-85-K tweeter so any one of the would be an excellent match.

Thanks for the feedback. However, the speakers that you mention are all classics (I think) and probably too big for the room that I want to put them as rears and centers that you mentioned (KG5.5 particularly) are just to big (again I think) for where I want to use them. I might just buy a Klipsch HT set and put a switch box on the receiver so that I can use the KG5.5s for audio and switch to the Klipsch HT set for movies etc.

Thanks

I would have no problem with most speaker sizes (as witnessed by having KG5.5s in the first place ), but I am married now and another part of the relationship has other ideas .

But again, you can't buy the KV-3 anymore, can you ?

Kevin

----------------

But again, you can't buy the KV-3 anymore, can you ?

----------------

Yes you can -- just watch eBay and be patient. That is where I have purchased all my Klipsch speakers and most parts (see the links in my sig for pictures of my creations). BTW, I saw a recent thread here with KV-4 in the title and that person has a KV-3 that he will probably be looking to sell once he finds a KV-4. BTW, the KV-4 would not be a good match for you since it was created to match the Epic series. While watching eBay, also keep a lookout for a KG-2.2V or KG2.5V because they would also be good matches. If you are using a projection TV then you could also get the non-shielded versions (the KG-2.2 and KG2.5 -- no V at the end). If you just cannot find any of them, then a KV-2 would still be a much better match than a SC-.5 or SC-1.

• 4 months later...

My goal is to replace it with a RC3 or a KLF-C7 since I will be changing my main speakers. So whatever it takes to do that. If you have one of those or could get one cheap and you would like to trade I would be happy to do that. Otherwise Im not sure If we can discuss selling this thing here. You can email me at waukeetalkie@hotmail.com.

Jon