Which sub should I buy?

Dawgheadus

Sub people, Help!

I have a 2 channel setup. I mainly listen to rock music and watch DVD concerts. This is what my system consist of: higher end Yamaha amp 350 watts per channel of clean power, higher end Yamaha pre-amp, higher end Yamaha EQ, and high end Dennon CD/DVD player hooked up with fiber connections. All of this is pushing my Klipsch Chorus II speakers. There is no distortion in this system even at high volume levels, and It's loud too. There no noise at low volume levels. It's very clean. BTW, this stuff is in a room that's about 15 feet/ 20 feet.

Which sub should I buy? It's a toss up between the Acoustic Research S500 that will go down to 18Hz or the Velodyne CT-150 that will go down to 20Hz. I have read better reveiws on the Acoustic Research S500. It has a Sunfire 500 watt amp in it, but I have also read some good reviews on the Velodyne CT-150. I've read that the Velodyne CT-150 is little louder but can be boomy at times; it has a 750 watt amp. Both subs are around the same price ($500-$600) on the net. If anybody knows which one will work better with my setup please let me know. Any imput will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, JJ

This message has been edited by Dawgheadus on 05-14-2001 at 01:06 AM

d, haven't heard either of those subs, but do have a vel hgs. have heard chorus & they're excellent.

no recommend cept just make sure u demo any sub in your

home before u buy. may find for just music & those speaks, u may not need a sub.

assuming u'd probably put it in between your pre & amp,

could give u a good bass foundation though. not to be a spoil sport; just beware of those sub/main conflicts

Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver(stereo power amp for rf-3)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Dawg-

And for maybe $150-200 more you could/should look at the Paradigm PW2200. I have one and it matches up great with my Forte IIs. I wouldn't have thought those speakers would benefit from a sub, (down to 32Hz) but they did. I, too, listen to rock and the walls shake when I get everything going (I have 7-ch going with Denon driving)! As Boa said, be sure you can audition at home. Good luck.

It's the Velodyne CT-150 no contest. BTW, I have tested subs in all price ranges, and I can tell you all one thing about them. To a certain degree, price doesn't mean a hill of beans, but placement has all to do with it. I believe the key to finding the right sub is finding the empty void in your room first. A sub is only is good as where it can be placed. Luckily for me, I have a rather large room (20/25), and my funiture sets in the middle of the room. I have found that in my room, a sub sounds the best on the opposite side of the room away from where my Chorus IIs sit filling that emptiness that once was behind my couch. If it was anywhere else in the room, it would do more harm than good; I've tryed it. Anyway, in my opinion, Velodyne is a best buy in the sub market, and in my case it's the CT-150. It's made my system simply awesome.

PS: I'm not a movie viewer, but this sub has made watching movies an all new experience.

This message has been edited by Dawgheadus on 05-19-2001 at 09:32 PM

dh, boy u move fast or were u just looking for a post-purchase confirmation? Biggrin.gif

i can't wait for my vel hgs-18 to get back from the shop, but sometimes i wish i had 2 CT-150 for HT.

glad to hear it sounds like the sub is now online for HT for ya.

the vel tech(kurt) i've talked two recommends 2 150s stacked for klipsch & ht. i know he's trying to also sell more subs, but i think he may have a good point.

will they throw in a 2nd at a discount? Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

boa,

I don't need another sub in my room. When placed properly, one Velodyne CT-150 is perfect for my system. It really sounds like a live performance in my room now. I'm telling ya; it's totally awesome. My dad just bought a $8000 HT system, and this may sound crazy to you, but my system blows his away. I do have a 56" Sony television, so I do watch movies on satelite (DSS) on occasions, and they are great too.

PS: To all people thinking of buying a sub who own Klipsch Heritage speakers and a 2 channel setup, If you don't have the room for a sub, don't waste your time or money on one. I've found placement means everthing. You don't want the sub to bleed into the true setero sound produced by your 2 channel setup. When you found that correct balance though, it's something to be appreciated. That's what I discovered.

these are all great subs here that were mentioned and i am sure will work quite well with your system...i liked the top of the line mirage with digital pulse width modulation amp section from athena built in but velodyne has digital amps built in in their hgs series too and other companies are or have adopted digital amps in their subs now because they can put out huge amounts of power with converting the ac power to dc without a huge transformer in the sub....anyway listen to the klipsch top of the line subs too because they will have digital amp in it too!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

• 1 month later...

I have a Vel and I think they are among the very best but I would take the Paradigm PW 2200 over the CT 150. Both are about the same in PEAK output but at 20 hz the Paradigm has A LOT (9 db) more output (10% THD limit). It would take more then 2 CT 150's to best the Paradigm down low. I wonder what a PW 2500 could do ??

I have heard the PW 2200 and it is a good sub. I have not heard the CT 150 but Velodyne has a rep for making some of the very best subs.

I know my opinion is subjective but I hope the little bit of info helps out a bit when you dish out that much money for your new sub.

I love my PW2200 for movies and it's punch and low end extension, but at maximum volume (which you won't use in your room normally) it's a little "sloppy"...

I guess you can't expect miracles form a big 12 incher, and i don't think the other subs mentioned would be much better at that though!

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have said

"Pump up the treble!"

Seb,

My question,is the PW2200 a chest pounder with music or does it turn sloppy before it gets the that point? Can it keep up with chorus II's or is it just to slow? I use to own the PS-1000 and it could get to the chest if it was buried in a corner and the volume cranked but its problem it was always so boomy even at low volumes.