what to do... DIY sub question

tpg

I know what amp I want to use, and just need to buy it. Currently, I have a nice Adire DPL-12 sitting behind my desk without an enclosure. I have the makes of a sonosub out in the garage... last time I worked on it, I made a bad cut, so I need to make another end cap... could take a long time. 2.gif I am not highly motivated...

So... here is the problem... the DPL-12 is made for dipole apps or front firing designs... not really ideal for downfiring like the sonosub would be. So, do I continue as planned and build the sonosub with the DPL-12 or throw the DPL-12 in a nice 2.5cu.ft sealed oak box and have a great sub... then add an Adire Shiva to my sonosoub later and have three subs...

That is the problem. Opinions anyone?

For info/decision purposes:

Shiva in sonosub- F3=20Hz

DPL-12 in sonosub- F3=15Hz

DPL-12 in sealed box- F3=29Hz

In sonosub, DPL-12 may be easy to bottom out due to low tuning. In sealed box, this thing could shake the hosue down (in theory). And Shiva supposedly handles sonosub apps better...

What do you all think?

I believe DanW has stated that even though the sag number on the DPL12 is a little high, it still can be used as a downfiring driver. You should double check that with Adire though.

So if the DPL12 can be used down firing, then it comes down to cost I guess. If buying a Shiva now or later isn't a concern money wise I'd go with getting 3 subs 2.gif

Actually it depends on your listening habits... but you are correct that the DPL will bottom out with very little power in a vented enclosure.

So if deep extension at lower volumes (low SPL) is your thing; go ported DPL

Trading extension for volume (SPL) and group delay; go sealed DPL

I second the recommendation and put the DPL into a sealed cabinet.... and eventually get the Shiva. But also note that a Shiva (or most other drivers) in a EBS will also bottom out without tons of power into it, so caution should be taken into not oversizing the enclosure.

later...

Rob