just put a new window in my comp

prodj101

yeah, it's a 120 mm. the company that makes my case also sold those window side panels and I felt like just getting one of those than going through with cutting out my own, and the ones they sold looked so purdy! (looks much better in real life too). that big 120 fan keeps things running pretty cool, it's set up so it has a smaller (80 mm I think) fan in the front to act as intake and the 120 mm as the exhaust. works quite well, though I got an LED 80 mm blue LED for in the upper parts of the case to help keep things a little cooler and to make it look cool in the dark . 9.gif

Looks nice. Is it plexy glass or real glass? I like real glass better, light shines through better, but it is kinda dangerous :) I am about to put in an Antec 550 TruePower power supply into my computer. Right now I have only 300 watts pulling about 428 watts... yikes. To turn it on, I have to hold the power button like I am priming an engine LoL! It is a great computer though, 260gb hard disk space, zip 750, 52x burner, 4x dvd burner (pretty useless really, just so slow), 3Ghz P4, winxp pro, m-audio rev., etc. Now I need a good video card with digital output for my 19" Samsung LCD.

Help me with that if you will... need a great video card, but not the best, just a good one, and a GREAT tv tuner card. The ATI one for like $89 with a remote control sucked so badly... are they all that bad? it was grainy (disgustingly) and there was a high pitched whine in the background. It also distorted the sound like crazy if you touched the volume on the ATI program as opposed to using the windows volume control. oh yeah, and the remote did not work.

might i suggest a matrox parhelia? it's certainly not a competitor to anything ATI or Nvidia has, but it's visual quality (2d and 3d) is the best. it's good enough for any 3d first person shooter (especially with your 3gig monster of a cpu9.gif ) and it's 2d visual quality is terrific. As for a TV-tuner card, get whichever one has all the features you want from hauppauge since they seem to make the best tv tuner cards. check this site out...

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm#pci

additionally, once you get your tv tuner card download Dscaler which is a better tv tuner program than the one that is bundled with the above tv tuner cards.

prodj,

regarding the p4 setup, i have not decided yet. still cant decide if i should go for a 2.4ghz p4 and overclock it to near 3ghz speeds. or... go for a more cost effective amd setup (2500 barton) and overclock it to 3000 speeds. if i go with the amd set, i would spend less than half than if i went with the p4 setup - so at the moment, i still cant decide.

anyway, regarding the 9600pro, no it is not good. atleast not good when compared to its predecessor - the 9500pro. at toms' hardware, the 9600 did not put out scores that bested the 9500 - mainly because the 9600pro is based on 4pixel pipelines, whereas the 9500pro has 8pipelines - not even the increase in memory clock can narrow the gap that the pipelines have made. i dont know why they made the 9600pro less efficient than its predecessor - isnt technology supposed to move forward?

sorry for the bad advice 3.gif . looking back it was probably the 9500 I meant to say, because I also remember those having great mod capability and are able to approach the speed of the 9700. anyway, I suppose my parents pay for computers so I'm not in the same position as you, but I just really favor intel over AMD, so thats one of the reasons I went with intel. er, past experience sort of.

hey prodj,

i was wondering - just for kicks.

which would you prefer?

4x250GB WD 7200rpm harddrives for a whopping total of 1 terabyte.

or...

4x36.7gb WD Raptors 10000rpm harddrives.

both will be raid0+1.

the big difference is that the raptors will boot windows in under 20 seconds since they are the fastest drives out there, much faster than the IBM 180.

so what do you prefer?

but 1 terabyte sounds so cool.....

-How much harddrive space do you have?

-I have 160gigs.

-Well I have 1 terabyte... MWAHAHAHA!! HHAHAHAA!!

Ah... but in all reality, I would just go for sheer speed, the raptors will suit me better anyway - too bad this is all make-believe. need cash to supply my techno-cravings....

----------------

On 7/22/2003 1:22:33 PM darkpark wrote:

additionally, once you get your tv tuner card download Dscaler which is a better tv tuner program than the one that is bundled with the above tv tuner cards.
----------------

darkpark - do you know if Dscaler supports the tuner that comes with Visiontek Xtasy Everything?

• 3 weeks later...

I have one Western Digital RAPTOR 10000RPM SATA as boot drive in each of my three computers,the main PC uses two Cheetah X15's for games,the second a Quantum 10K3 SCSI 74GB for storage and a 250GB Western JB for MP3's and varous files.The third a 200GB WD JB for storage.

ALl three boot FAST thanks to the dragster like RAPTOR drives.

An attached pic of the second PC is icluded,the inside.

post-3469-13819248490654_thumb.jpg