LaScalla's -vs- Reference

PhilMays

Tom,

"I don't buy the bass is lacking statement, thats BULLSH*t, people conclude to this due to specs, which don't hold water when your sitting there and the bass is knocking you in the chest like your there live!"

The resonant frequency of your chest is somewhere in the 75-125hz range. So chest pounding bass isn't a very good indicator of deep bass response. When you get into the deepest range (my big sub is -3dB at 14hz) and energizing the room the air all around you gets to feeling like it is pulsating.

For some deep bass material check out this list:

http://smr-home-theatre.org/Sub-woofer-Set-Up/How-Low.html

I only have the Telarc CDs from that list but they are good. Be careful as the depth and range on some of those can seriously overdrive woofers.

Shawn

Shawn,

Thats interesting, I wasn't refering to deep bass, but lack of bass. I listen to two channel with my La Scalas, what instruments play at 14hz?

Now my HT system is a whole nother story & a whole nother system, which doesn't do two channel that well, but one hell of Home Theatre rig.

Tom

Tom,

OK, we are talking about two different things then. Pipe organs have a 16hz note (low C) on them... try the 2001 theme, I think it starts with low C.

My system does double duty for music and movies and there are plenty of movie effects that low and lower.

Shawn

The movie affects for sure. I'm with you on the need for subs, which I have three in my HT system.

For two channel I just don't feel the need. I don't believe there is that much going on in those lower registers with the music I listen to. Pipe organs huh!

Tom

Tom,

"The movie affects for sure. I'm with you on the need for subs, which I have three in my HT system."

Yup, I use three as well. :)

"For two channel I just don't feel the need. I don't believe there is that much going on in those lower registers with the music I listen to."

Sure, that makes sense. The bass they do have is very nice, they just aren't the last word in extension and loose about the last octave. I'm crossing them to my L/R subs at 60hz right now which is working well.

Shawn

I think the low note on a pipe organ is much higher somewere in the 30Hz range.

I was always told by the khorn delears that a lot of pipe organ tuners use khorns as they were the only speaker that could reproduce the low c in its full on compressed range.

"I was always told by the khorn delears that a lot of pipe organ tuners use khorns as they were the only speaker that could reproduce the low c in its full on compressed range."

Are you sure you aren't thinking of piano tuners? I think low C on them is 33hz.

Check out the pipe organ section here:

http://www.infrasonicmusic.co.uk/background.htm

According to that there are a few pipe organs that can hit just over 8hz.

Shawn