I think the RF-5 is over-priced. What do you guy think?

YCklipsch

Since the RF3 and RF5 shares the same woofer and tweeter driver, similar dimension and weight (56vs60), I wonder what will justify the price jump of $700. I think the major cost increase is on the real wood veener. The previous promise of a stronger woofer is gone. Well there is a new horn, but I don't think the new horn will actully cost $10 more than the old RF3 horns.

It seems the RF5 is mainly a dressed up RF3.

Due to the huge similarities between the 2 model, I thinks Klipsch should use the RF5 to replace RF3 (and enjoy a price hike to $1000) and add preimum to people who actully want wood veener. I think Klipsch is really trying to cash on the success of the RF3 this time.

No wonder BobG, JimG all prasing the launch of the RF7 but keeping the RF5 to a low profile in the previous threads.

I may be wrong. What do you think?

Guest JimG

None of you can state that the RF-5 is overpriced because none of you have seen or heard it yet. As I said in the other thread, most of the differences between the two models cannot be expressed in pure specs. You will just have to listen before you can make an opinion. Yes, the price step is big, but that's primarily because the RF-3 is severely UNDERpriced. That has been a difficult problem all throughout the development process of these new models. Take a look at the content and performance of competitive models at the RF-3's price point and you'll see what I mean. The same holds true for the new RF-5. Content & performance-wise, it is very much in line and very competitive with any other speakers similarly priced. I ask that you withhold any judgment until you have personally listened and compared the two side-by-side. It's kind of like people who say Klipsch speakers suck / don't image / aren't high-end because they have horns in them...and yet, they haven't even listened to them!

We haven't been talking much about the RF-5, but we also haven't been talking about the RC-7, the RS-7, or the RB-3. Does that mean they are unworthy? Hardly! We simply talk about the RF-7 the most because we are excited about it the most, as it is the new flagship of our line and represents big leaps forward in performance. Same goes for the subs. We talk about the RSW-15 the most, and tend not to talk about the 10 & 12. They are great models too. Anyways, I'm really surprised to see this post. Of course, I'm only saying all of this because I work here... Rolleyes.gifeyes:

Sorry for any offense to anyone...

Jim

What do I think? I don't like any of the Reference line! I like the Legends better.But then, the Legends don't have the clarity of the Reference.Klipsch is supposedly about to release a hybrid.Well, we'll just see about that! Personally I like and own Synergy Premiere's.IMO,some of the best modern tower speakers that Klipsch has produced is the KG5.5's.Good balance. Good midrange.Highs need slight taming with electronics

or speaker wire(or whatever you believe in).To sum up,I

like em all.I just don't buy them all.Anyone else have an opinion?

Keith

JimG, I was typing my post as you were yours.As YC stated, he may be wrong,and he is wrong(IMO).I personally want the real wood veneer and the performance of the Klipsch of old.I will not miss the days of the lower price points and the vinyl finish.Now

maybe,after a short while anyway,we won't have to listen to the complaints regarding the $400 subwoofers not sounding as good as the $1100 subs.I'm glad to see the "lets make them small and pretty and sell every household in America" mentality cast aside.Good to see Klipsch stepping back into the arena of high quality speakers and subs that most people can afford to buy and enjoy for a lifetime.Regards,

Keith

touche' k! the nice real wood also helps w/ the WF or GF (wife or girlfriend factor) Biggrin.gif

i was suprised too to see this thread ? before the new speaks are even out yet for review or listening. Confused.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-16-2001 at 05:46 PM

Performance aside I think he's just a bit upset that the new line is probably not much more in production costs and yet are priced much higher to increase profits as sales have been sooo good on the current line.

Look at Denon. I heard from my local rep that the denon 3300 was so successful that Denon felt they priced it too low at an MSRP of 1000. So look at the 3801, now 1200 msrp(the 3300's replacement).

Supply and demand??

I'm sure the new line will be a winner for both consumer and Klipsch. I'm looking forward to hearing them myself.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 05-16-2001 at 06:47 PM

I think there is a reason that the RF3 is the long time number one seller and it is becasue it is UNDER-PRICED in compare to the other on the market (see, I am totally agree with you here). Simply due to the obvious price/performance ratio, almost everyone with ear can make the obvious choices and Klipsch is also making good money on the massive scale of sale. I think I am just naive thinking that Klipsch is willing to continue this practice and use its technology again to under-cut the market again.

I do agree with price increase, but I thought the increase could be more modest (please consider the shared components between the 2 models) and there could be a choice to either select vinyl or wood veener. So people on tight budget could also enjoy the latest advance of technology.

I will surely go to audition the new line. May be the new horn and the new Monster cable can completely change my view.

So Klipsch do believe in Monster Cable!