80 w.p.c., fully class A, S.E.T. tube amp

greg928gts

----------------

On 8/4/2003 1:13:15 PM Myhamish wrote:

Hey painful reality, I was wondering if Billiz's amp would be able to heat my house. You answered my question. 42 windows in an Eastern Ontario winter ain't fun. Even the dog's water bowl freezes over and the cats at the foot of the bed have frost in their whiskers .

Anyway, here's a question for you tube gurus. Billiz's tube amp shows two knobs which I would assume to be volume pots. Would I be able to run a straight stereo line out into a tube amp like this without going through a pre-amp stage and use the volume pots for my speaker gain?

I do this with my ss stuff sometimes and it's noticably cleaner. Thanks. Hamish

----------------

I see only one knob on the audio chassis which I assume a volume pot. It might be an input selector switch but I wonder what would be the use of an input selector switch without any volume.

The chassis for the power supply shows fuse holders that you may have seen as two knobs. There seems to be rca input jack or something like this... bias test points?

It would surely heat your house. As for the compatibility with a CD line output, it will depend of the gain of this amp. If it is a low gain amplifier, you'll need a preamp. Other factors can require the use of a preamp too.

If you want to heat your house for real, get these OTL amps. In the winter time (up to -10 celsius) I can keep the living room warm by letting these turned on (all electrical plinth being turned off). Needless to say I don't use them in the summertime. (see those furnace at www.tenoraudio.com)

Hey Painful Reality, Thanks for the info. I had a good wander around the Tenor Audio site. Seems they're in Canada too & endure the Montreal winters. Anyway, the prices seem to be associated with the money to burn crowd - another way to keep warm.

I've been looking at some Ideal Innovations tube amps. They're out of Ontario and have some interesting products that are more in line with my budget. Here's the link:

http://www.idealinnovations.biz/

Have a look and let me know what you think. The class A 'Stereo 35A' looks kind of interesting. Hamish