80 w.p.c., fully class A, S.E.T. tube amp

greg928gts

I spoke with a guy up here in Maine who is building some pretty cool amplifiers. I'm really not very good with electronics and how they are built, so a lot of what he was talking about went right over my head. He says this 160 lb. monster goes for $12,500.00! He's working on a 40 watt version, and another amp that is around 25 watts that is SET and direct coupled? I think he said. It would use no caps? I don't know, but it sounded pretty interesting. I've got to go up and meet with him sometime when I have time.

Go to ebay, search for members, and enter "billiz" to get his "about me" profile. There are pictures there of the first one he built. It looks a little crude to me, but he assures me that all of the components are top notch.

Greg

His name is Bill and his email is billd@midmaine.com

I asked, and he would love to receive emails about his amps.

I hope someone here with knowledge of tube amp construction contacts him and gets the scoop.

If I remember correctly, he said something about a transmitting tube.

Greg

----------------

On 8/3/2003 9:50:55 PM NOSValves wrote:

The pictures are not all the clear but like Chris I seriously don't think were looking at a SET amp here.

----------------

It's hard to see but looking at the huge size of the Hammond OPT I'd bet for a 1642SE (they don't have any push pull OPT that are this big). This would bring us to a parallel single-ended amp with a power in the ball park of 70-80W using four Svetlana SV-572 (looks a lot like it but I may be wrong). A SET with some balls... Children and pets should stay away from it!

This will get your house warm in the winter!

The Svetlana 572 looks pretty cool with their thoriated tunstene filament. As for the cool "glow like hell look", nothing beats those big transmitting triodes!

----------------

On 8/3/2003 10:14:56 PM NOSValves wrote:

Your right there those are some huge transformers !

----------------

Actually I was wrong, a search trough my Hammond catalogue showed me that they had the 1650W, a PP output transformer that would fit the bill (regarding the size). But these OPT have a 1.9K primary impedance. This would be a "lowish" load for a pair of SV572 working in PP (10K would be more like it).

So I keep my bet for a parallel single ended amp.

Hey painful reality, I was wondering if Billiz's amp would be able to heat my house. You answered my question. 42 windows in an Eastern Ontario winter ain't fun. Even the dog's water bowl freezes over and the cats at the foot of the bed have frost in their whiskers .

Anyway, here's a question for you tube gurus. Billiz's tube amp shows two knobs which I would assume to be volume pots. Would I be able to run a straight stereo line out into a tube amp like this without going through a pre-amp stage and use the volume pots for my speaker gain?

I do this with my ss stuff sometimes and it's noticably cleaner. Thanks. Hamish