Klipsch KSW 12 owners - Take a look here!

Egil

Im thinking of buying a Klipsch KSW 12. I will use it for my Home Theater System. But im a little sceptical. The KSW 12 goes down to 26hz (-3db) .. 90db w/25hz.. Or something.. How deep should a subwoofer go? And the KSW 12 is only 16kg!!! Will it bounce if I play loud then? Lol. (A Marble plate on top of it would do the trick?)

I had a look at audioreview.com - and more than 150 people have rated the KSW 12..And it almost have a top-rating! That's very impressive..

bounce up and down? no way. you can sav that marble block for something else.

it doesnt go much lower than 26hz - and around 30hz - the output is pretty scant.

the ksw as a whole is boomy and not too defined - not very musical to trained ears - but definitely great for ht use.

how much were you planning on spending on a sub? i have done a comparison between my infinity entra2 12" and the ksw-12 - and the infinity beats it in musicality and punch.

why not wait for the rw-10?

Down to 35Hz the KSW12 has good output,it will NOT bounce at all,if cut above 80Hz it will show some boomy signature.

For HT a sub needs to rip low with power,the KSW12 when cut under 80Hz sounds ok if placed well.

Only a few subs will bounce and they all have extreme motor structures moving BIG back and forth(Sunfire),at around 45lbs the tiny Sunfire Mark II could bounce some.But this unit has what I call an Ultra excursion capable woofer considering its size.

The KSW12 moves a small fraction of a Sunfire,the linear and peak to peak of KSW12 are under 0.5 inch.As the SUnfire cone almosts spits out of the cabinet at high SPL with very deep bass.

I think I am starting to derail here...1.gif

----------------

On 8/4/2003 7:45:26 PM TheEAR wrote:

Down to 35Hz the KSW12 has good output,it will NOT bounce at all,if cut above 80Hz it will show some boomy signature.

For HT a sub needs to rip low with power,the KSW12 when cut under 80Hz sounds ok if placed well.

Only a few subs will bounce and they all have extreme motor structures moving BIG back and forth(Sunfire),at around 45lbs the tiny Sunfire Mark II could bounce some.But this unit has what I call an Ultra excursion capable woofer considering its size.

The KSW12 moves a small fraction of a Sunfire,the linear and peak to peak of KSW12 are under 0.5 inch.As the SUnfire cone almosts spits out of the cabinet at high SPL with very deep bass.

I think I am starting to derail here...
1.gif

----------------

Good heavens isn't that the truth. My SunFire Signature has linear excursion limits that would be the envy of people at a car audio competition.(Mind you much cleaner and response below 20hz in my room) I couldn't believe the air/force this woofer moves when I was trying to push it.

----------------

On 8/4/2003 7:36:53 PM pinipig523 wrote:

why not wait for the rw-10?

----------------

Egil, as you may have noticed, the KSW's aren't favorites around here... but in all these descriptions, i think pinipig brings up a good point.

The new Klipsch RW subs will outperform the KSW but will be similarly priced... so they would represent a much better buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a good deal on the KSW12. And that's why I ended up buying it. Many have recommended that I should buy a Reference Sub.. But the Reference subs are like 4 times more expensive than the KSW series. Klipsch is so damn expensive here in Norway :(