K-22 in the Forte?

ttaylor

Well the cabs on my newly aquired Heresys are in need of surgery. The top panels are destroyed due to water damage. So bad that Im going to replace those pieces of ply. I thought I might build a quick and dirty cab w/ larger volumn to get the LF a bit lower, just for yucks. Ive checked the archives and couldnt find anyone that done this and then reported back afterwards. I believe djk stated somewhere (or was quoted) that 4.5 cf was optimum. I put the T/S of the K-22 into BoxPlot and it indeed showed that to be about right. Any bigger and the bass response get slightly lower but drops off like a rock.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, isnt the ForteI sort of a floorstanding Heresy or not? And whats its volumn and how different is the bass response, assuming it too used the K-22.

All comments welcomed...even the "dont @#$@ with PWKs' design" flavoured.2.gif

thx taylor

Hi Taylor

Welcome to the Forum.

The Forte DOES NOT use the K22. If I remember right, the K22 is not really designed to be used in ported speakers either, you would need to use a different woofer for porting maybe the K24 or a third party woofer.

Could'nt you just refinish the water damaged part, not replacing the entire plywood section breaking the cabinet seals? Maybe stain it a darker color? Then for bass add a subwoofer? The Heresy is not a bad sounding speaker, it just lacks the lows. I agree with you, it is hard to improve on PWK's designs.

Good luck in your project.

JM

Unfortunately, the damage is 3/4 of the way thru the ply. The previous owners wife thought they would make nice plants stands-for 12 years! Sometimes I just dont know what people are thinking. So the plan is to restore the original cabs and build cheap larger ones to check the LF gain for now. I can bang out MDF boxes in a couple hours so why not?

Ive got several subs I can use but it just bugs me that a speaker with a 12" driver is so lacking. But it was designed as a "bookshelf" speaker and you just cant have it all- small size, efficiency AND LF extension.

BTW, once my Khorn sub is completed, I will see how it mates with the Heresy too, although its permanent home will be with the La Scalas, in the big room.

taylor

Actually, the early K-22s, at least the Electro Voice versions, were designed for use in ported enclosures and not sealed enclosures. Some of the other early ones might be suitable also. The T/S parameters of the K-22s vary considerably from model to model.

Forte used a K-23. I would say that calling it a ported Heresy II might be a fair comparison. Note that it uses a different woofer than the Heresy II which uses a K-24.

IMHO you would be far better off getting a good subwoofer.