Freight damaged klf-30-what to do?

wclemon

I just bought a pair of 30's from another board member and one speaker arrived with damage. It has cracks on the cabinet at 3 places around the front edges (visible only when the grill is off. The grill frame is also broken.

They were insured for extra value before shipment. UPS will be by tomorrow to pick up the damaged speaker.

What should I do? The speaker seems to sound OK, but I'm worried about the cracks getting worse with time. I _think_ that I can buy a replacement grill-I'll check with the factory in the morning.

Any advice on handling UPS and effecting repairs is welcome.

Bill

I've dealt with UPS quite a few times for damage. First, UPS will want to determine if the item was packaged properly. They will come to your house to see the speaker and ALL the packing material it was in. If they determine that the speaker was packaged correctly and damage is their fault, then they will put a claim through their insurance company for the damage. All payments go to the seller, so it's important that you have a good relationship with the seller if you plan to keep the speaker. You might consider shipping them back to the seller and let the seller collect on the insurance. If the damage is determined to be UPS' fault, then they'll cover the shipping cost back to the seller. But it's important to realize that if you keep the speakers, you'll be relying solely on the seller to pay you the damages. This is a process, and you may find that the seller is very cooperative now, but may not be after going through this process. If UPS determines that the speaker was damaged because it was not packed properly, then I would definately send them back to the seller and demand a refund, including shipping. Good luck! I do think that you're better off having dealt with someone from the forum. Be patient and understanding, you and the seller are both going to be on edge about this, and it's going to be real easy to push the wrong button.

If UPS puts a claim through, the seller will get a form to fill out. They will ask if the unit can be repaired or replaced. They don't offer a cash settlement on the form, but I've had some luck working with a representative from UPS who works a little higher up than the people at the 1-800 number, to work out a settlement. That is, paying the seller for damage without a repair estimate, and without replacing the speaker. The seller needs to remember to put the cost of shipping in with the estimate on the form.

There's more to it than I'm explaining, but that's all I can think of right now. If you have specific questions or are having problems, email me glroberts@prexar.com

Unfortunately I've had quite a bit of experience dealing with stuff that was questionably packed and then damaged in shipping.

Greg

I had a weird experience with ups when I shipped two speakers to my brother in California. The UPS guy came and actually told me that they were packed too well. He claimed that they couldn't move in the box and that was why the cabinet was fractured the whole way across. I had to go through his supervisor to get the claim. I wonder if any of you have heard of something being packed too good.

That is absolute nonsense! It is the speaker shifting around in the carton that would cause it to get damaged by rough handling what a crock! Most the stuff I received damaged is because people do not know how to properly pack an item, especially so for heavy items. You do not want any shifting in the box at all. All electronics items should be double boxed with a minimum of 2" - 3" of padding in between the boxes. I have shipped hundreds of items and never had one damaged because I do overpack. A little common sense goes a long way.