MSB external DAC, any thoughts?

Dflip

I was listening to an external DAC by MSB the other day at an audio store.

http://www.msbtech.com/msb_home.htm for more info on their products.

It was hooked up to a pair of bookshelf speakers, I think Pro Arc (which I have never heard of before) on weighted Target stands, a Sony CD player and an Antique Sound Lab 1003, 30 W tube amp. I listened to it with and without the DAC and there was a noticeable difference between the sound. The DAC presented a fuller sound and the two speakers appeared to disappear. It sounded very good with jazz and instrumental music selections. There was also more detail in the music. The interconnects were switched from the CD player to the DAC, the volume was left the same and the cables were not changed. It was a fair comparison, no tricks involved. I do realize that these speakers are probably only 80 some dB efficiency, whether this makes any changes to the sound or not, I'm not sure.

Any thoughts as to the difference in sound that I hear? Is an external DAC something to possibly consider?

What model was the Sony CD player? Adding a DAC (there are many) will help with a typical $200 CD player as you experienced.

The other options is a $1k+ CD player with the capability of the extranal DAC in the CD box.

For example:

Dan Wrights thinks his $1200 mod of the classic SONY 9000ES is better than his mods to the Perpetual Technology three box DAC/correction/power improvement gear with a modest CD player at the transport plus you get a one box solution.

I read recently in a mag that a min of $800 was needed for a good digital source and external DACs were an affordable option compared to the MSRP of new high end CD players. Mods would be another option.

I can finally check for a response at my friend's house. She is 15 minutes away and has had power since 3:30 this morning. My power is still out 26 hours later. I guess I will be throwing things out tomorrow from the fridge, no power in parts of Toronto.

The Cd unit I listened to I think was a 777ES Sony unit.

Thanks for the quick responses and hopefully not too many of us are without power for too much longer.

The unit I heard did not have the external power supply, but still made a good improvement. I image the separate supply would made the unit cleaner in sound.

Don