search for good tube amps

jgatty

OK, I think this forum is going to leak to an addiction of collecting electronics to explain to my wife. I am feeling the urge to start looking for a tube amp to run the mains (soon to be borrowed Belles) on my system from the pre outs on my Yamaha RX-V1. What names and specs should I look for and at what prices, keeping it under 3K and hopefully about half that. I am going to start my internet scrounging, but I can wait for the right item at the right price.

Thanks for the education.10.gif

What are your musical tastes? How loud do you like to listen to your music? What is the size of your room?

Why to you want to base your system on any weaknesses of your Yamaha RX-V1?

You can get a tube setup for $1500. It's best to seprate your home theater setup from your 2 channel listening setup. IMHO

- Tim

----------------

On 8/16/2003 12:13:47 AM jgatty wrote:

I am feeling the urge to start looking for a tube amp to run the mains (soon to be borrowed Belles) on my system from the pre outs on my Yamaha RX-V1.

----------------

I actually tried hooking tube amps to my Denon AV-4800 pre-out's and was disappointed. There was none of the tube warmth that I was seeking, for really all I was doing was amplifying a solid-state pre-amp signal. Sounded quite solid state through my Heritage Cornwall II's (early version).

Ultimately, I removed and sold the tube amps and just ran directly from the Denon's amp outputs.

The real tube magic, IMHO, occurs when you have all tubes (incl. rectifiers) in the signal path ... no silicon to be found anywhere. That's why I finally separated my two systems, i.e., solid state for my HT, tubes for my 2-channel.

Just another data point for you to consider!

proj,

Musical tastes are probably the number one component to nail down before choosing equipment.

If for example his tastes were mostly Jazz I'd say he would be happy with a good SET amp. If however, he liked heavy metal, and really liked to play his music loud, a good Push pull design with more watts would be more applicable. SET has a magic with vocals and horns that is well suited for Jazz and Blues.

I've found that my SET setup, plays most things well. It however runs out of steam for some organ music. Such as pomp and pipes. Symphony music with lots of crescendo parts also pushes the flea powered Wrights to their limits.

For what its worth. I've had the Jolida here at my place for audition, and the little EICO HF-81 is a far better choice.

- tb