Chorus II as part of home entertainment center

marksharkey

Hello,

I'm building a Home Entertainment wall unit, and am trying to figure out the size/dimensions for my audio/video equipment.

I have a pair of Chorus II speakers that I'm trying to decide if I should keep as I build this theatre system. Does anyone have any opinions/knowledge of how well these speakers would integrate with a surround sound system? Are they too overpowering to even try using? I'm wondering if it would make more sense to buy one of the new Klipsch systems, than to piecemeal something together.

Thanks!

Mark

"I'm wondering if it would make more sense to buy one of the new Klipsch systems, than to piecemeal something together."

Well, that's a can of worms. I have a Chorus-based HT and it simply kicks the living snot out of anything in its price range, especially since it was all used when I bought it. However, you have to be patient to find the right components, and be willing to be flexible in your setup.

I am using a Forte as a center, but there are different speakers that would be almost as good. The SS-1s I'm using for rears are not ideal -- just what fits in my small 11 x 10 HT room.

OTOH, buying all new is fast and easy. Will it sound as good? Only you can tell after you audition the new stuff.

DD

• 2 weeks later...

As Doug said, the Chorus II is a great speaker to have up front as mains in a HT. I love mine, even more than my Forte IIs which they replaced. By searching eBay, Audiogon, want ads, this forum, etc, you should be able to piece together a great HT and save a ton of dough over the new lines. Get a set of Forte/Forte II/Quartets for surrounds, or even some of the KG 1.2/2.2s and you'll be rocking. The center will be the tough part. Academy's are rare and expensive, so try a KV-3, or if you have room, a Quartet/Forte/Chorus as a center. Then add a high quality sub and I bet you'll be way ahead in the end.

I won't start the war over which sound better, but try the Reference line at a dealer and go with what sounds better. If you decide to sell those Chorus IIs, I bet you'd have several interested buyers here. What finish are they?

----------------

On 8/17/2003 12:36:36 PM marksharkey wrote:

I have a pair of Chorus II speakers that I'm trying to decide if I should keep as I build this theatre system.

----------------

Mark, I haven't heard the Chorus II's yet, but Rob swears by them. I can also say they were a replacemnt for the Cornwall and I'm using the Cornwalls as front L/R for my HT and it sounds great. If you're lucky, you'll find a pair of beat up Chorus IIs for very little. You could refinish them and fix them, keep one for your center channel and sell the other one for the same purpose. I've seen this strategy on Ebay and it seems to work well. This is how I came upon my center channel Belle.

If recessing the CII's into a cabinet, keep in mind that you'll need some clearance for the rear-facing passive woofer to breathe. I'm sure you know that ...

I live in a smallish apartment and still use Chorus II for my mains. The quality of sound makes them well worth the extra space they take up. Also because it is an apartment I can't use a boomy Sub woofer for risk of being put out. The Chorus II produce plenty of base on their own without vibrating everything. I have a KLF-C7 center (couldn't find an Acadamy priced right) and a pair of Heresy IIs for rear surround speakers. I have a 27" JVC tv and because I am only 8 feet away it seems ok. My receiver is nothing great its a Kenwood VR309 but it does the job and was cheap. I bought the Heresy IIs first as 2 channel mains in the late 80s and then bought the Chorus II to replace them around 91. Then when Home Theater became affordable I found that I could put them together and add a fair matching center for some excellent Klipsch sound.

I agree with the posts here! jhawk has the best matches listed. I could only fit the smaller bookshelf KG1.5 for the rear surrounds and they do just fine. Take your time, look around a while, your bound to find some deals on the older Klipsches...(except the academy). Before I lucked out on this Academy, I used a KG2.2V for the center and it did a good job too.

KEEP THE CHORUS'S!!!!!!!

Have fun.......

Mike