New entry level sub from Klipsch?

FreeRadical

Hello all. I've been reading posts in this forum for several weeks now and decided to finally join in.

I have seen information on the new RW-12 subs on this website but I can't find anyone online that is selling them. Does anyone know if these are available yet and how much are they? I've been looking at the Velodyne CHT-12 at Circuit City but the salesman there told me that this sub is being discontinued by Velodyne at the end of the year. CC will still carry the Velodyne brand but he didn't know what would be taking its place. I was also in Best Buy recently and saw where they have the KSW12 by Klipsch. This sub is in the same price range but doesn't have the same specs as the Velodyne. Will Best Buy pick up this new line and discontinue the KSW12? Should I wait to see what Velodyne is coming out with next and compare it to the RW12?

I am not in any hurry to buy because I just had a system installed in my daily driver that I have to pay off first (I'll be glad to discuss my car stereos with anyone that is interested). Anyway, I have an entry level home theater that needs a better sub and I don't want to spend more than about 500 bucks.

My goal is to put the current system in the master bedroom of the next house we build (growing family) and get some high end stuff for main room in the new house. I'm already saving up for some Mac equipment, plasma, etc.

Thanks for reading this and any insight you have.

The KSW12 is not a great choice even at the low price they may go for,the Velodyne CHT are nothing great(I have SPL and HGS,these are the REAL Velodyne subs).

If you want a great inexpensive sub check out the PolkAudio PSW404 and 505,the 404 uses a 10" wofer and the 505 a 12" unit.

The PSW404 pounds into submission the KSW12,plus it diggs deeper(oh no dont trust the specs here),and does not boom and color sound like the KSW series.

I posted a picture of the front in the subwoofer section,under Great Inexpensive Sub Find.Check it out

I never considered PolkAudio,their subs were puny and boomy(the upscale were overpriced for the performance they provided),the new PSW 404 and 505 are a complete makeover.

I am sure you can find a PolkAudio dealer and compare others with the PSW404/505.And geta great deal on one.

I purchased my PSW404 for around $300US!Is a great deal

I agree that both of these stores offer mostly junk when it comes to audio and video, but I'm not in a position to buy some really good gear right now. I just need something that will sound better than the 8 inch KLH sub that I have now. I know, don't laugh. Like I said earlier, this was my first home and home theater system.

I'll try and find someone that has those Polk subs. I may check to see what my car stereo dealer has. They do more home theaters now than car stereos.

Those of us who were very lucky to be at the Klipsch get together heard side by side the velodyne, polk, klh, and yes the new Klipsch RW12.

The rw 12 didn't bottom out, didn't flutter under the pressure, no strange harmonics to make it appear boomy, and was fantastic IMO compared to ANY that were tested.

This is a new sub, IMO very very much on the right target price wise...forward fireing, and I myself, want one badly.

Many people on this board sing praises for all of the Kilipsch products MINUS the subs. I suggest you look into this one though. I found it very sweet!!

foward firing. yeah.. caused me to re-arrange furniture for my RW-10.

I guess unlike the KSW series (down firing), we can't just hide this guy in the corner. It does seem to me to improve the "livelyness" of the bass if nothing is blocking the sub from firing the bass to the "sweet" spot. I think I still need to save $$$ and get a RSW-10 someday.

James

That is not true!!!!

The advantage of a front firing sub is, that it will give you an entertainment element that a down firing sub can not.

It is the funniest thing when dog or cat has its nose near the cone and BAM a huge explosing moves the woofer and the pet leaps to the height of adjacent furniture.

but other than that Dan is correct.

Free Radical..What are the benefits...?? Many!!

1) Can be put in a cabinet (think 8-12 foot entertainment wall...)

2) Doesn't need a corner or wall behind it to make more noise..

3) Better technology with coner loading (read the press)

4) Think high end reference sub, with a smaller budget...

5) sounds terrific!!!!

Take your pic!!