General A/V receiver question

FirebirdTN

I was wondering how the new A/V receivers in general handle two-channel source audio?

Specifically, can you make an A/V receiver take two-channel audio and have it play out of all audio channels, including the surrounds?

The reason I was asking, is I am in the process of setting up my HT. Being on a tight budget, and for asthetic, and size factors, I have decided to go with the Quintet speakers (or somthing of similar size).

I was told on the forums that for my size room (fairly large) that the Quintets would have a hard time filling the room. The thing is, I will be purchasing a 7.1 A/V Receiver, and figured at 7 independant channels, I wouldn't have a problem at all (as opposed to only 5 independant Quintets).

99% of the time, this setup will be used for watching DVDs. However, its the other 1% of the time, when I am listening to cassette, phono, or CDs that I am wondering about.

I still believe even for my large room, 7 Quintets will do a nice job, but during stereo audio sources, if only two speakers are active, THEN I may have a problem...

So, how do these new receivers handle 2 channel audio?

Specifially, I will be purchasing the Sony STDA-1000ES..

Thanks!

-Alan

how big is the room? and how good do you want your system to sound? you can on most modern processors use 2 channel source to matrix to 5-6-7.1, the problem being degradation. when you matrix source it does not sound like it was intended. it sounds ok, but not quite right. and the quintets will fill your room, but not with high end sound, they just werent designed for that12.gif

LOL...its sometimes hard to convey exactly what point your at in the scheme of things on a forum...

Consider myself just starting out, with entry level equipment.

This will actually be my second HT system ever. My first was a disaster. It never sounded right to me. My receiver at the time was a $300 Technics I bought at Sears back in the early nineties (since sold). My speakers were (don't laugh) a mixture of Kenwoods that look like they came out of the 1970's (very large), advent, JBL, and infinty bookshelf for the rears. VERY POOR DECISION on my part. They did not go well together AT ALL. So now, I have deiced, whatever I get, I want to match ALL speakers, except the center channel of course.

The receiver I am going with now is the Sony STRDA-1000ES. Not a monumental leap, but should be a nice improvement over what I had...

baby steps...LOL

-Alan