Stroke of Luck!

AndyKubicki

Tuesday I took my son to the dentist and we were a bit early for the appointment so we noticed a Salvation Army store (new one to the area) and we wandered in. My son pointed me to some records on a rack. Most were things I will never listen to and many were in very sad condition. But I did find a 4 album set of Handel's Messiah in excellent condition Opera in not my cup of tea, yet I do love to hear a good choir now and then. I bought it mainly because I thought my wife said she liked it, we'll see. Having played some of it this morning, save for the dust, it's in great shape. These will clean up nicely.

Another stroke of luck was finding the cartridge for my B&O at an affordable price and even more so, finding help with getiing it fixed.

But those were minor. This was a more major one. Several weeks ago I had to do a sales related call to one of our customers. What should have been a 10 minute conversation was almos an hour. Turns out we had some things in common- we were both from Chicago, and we are both audiophles! Needless to say, most of the conversation was audio related. He said he had a stash of tubes he no longer needs. I suggested that he could probably do well on eBay with them, but he wanted no part of that and said he would just rather give them to someone, so of course, I agreed to provide them a happy home. Then I did not hear from him and though he changed his mind, or found a more worthy cause. Yesterday I ran into the Fedex dude that delivers to where he works and he tells me that this person has a box of tubes for me, but because I was on vacation, he said he wasn't going to see me. Well, I drove up the street to see him and there he was, and he had a shoebox full of tubes! We of course talked againm at least for half an hour, but i had to cut it short as my son had another dental appointment I had to take him to. This stash is GOLD! I wanted to get Mullard 12AX7s for my Scott and now have Mullards, Amperex and even a few RCA. But the majority are Mullards. I will be tube rolling and vinyl rolling! Unfortunately, about half of these are 12AT7 and for now, not needed by me. I'm not going to put these on eBay, but email me if you are interested....anybody got a quad of Mullard or Telefunken 7189?

sunnysal

You said that some guys have all the luck

You are so right - I found the girl of my dreams at 17 married her at 19 and now that we are 60 she got all bent outta shape last weekend when she thought my minor Khorn mod could damage OUR speakers - ( I damped the K400 midhorns - but to her it looked like a speaker rape in progress).

Bless her she even acknowledged that the Khorns sounded even better post-violation 9.gif