KSW 12 in a Closet?

onionrings

Probably the silliest idea I have ever heard, it will more than likely not perform well. Granted bass is omnidirectional, but a closet? The subwoofer needs to be in the room to perform adequately. If you had a monster sub like the Velodyne HGS-18II it may work but the sound pressure generated from that beast would rip the closet apart. So the answer is NO!

i installed a sub in a closet w/a return air grille cut into the wall that faced the room the speakers (flush mount) were in. it DID provide deep bass, and asthetics were more important than acoustics for that customer, and it didn't sound bad.

so if you are concerned about how it looks more than it sounds,(and it isn't THAT bad) i would say the answer is YES!

avman.2.gif

p.s. you asked 2 ?'s

no, it will affect sound quality

yes, it does make sense (for some people-see above)

9.gif

Not a good idea, unless, you can just use the closet as the subwoofer cabinet, or if you can somehow mount the speaker so it fires out the front of the closet. Unfortunately, most subs are using multiple drives (including passive) as well as bass reflex venting, or downfiring drivers as yours.

If you are thinking of just putting the sub in the closet & somehow redirecting the sound out of the closet with some sort of vent or opening, that won't work. A speaker's (any speaker's) low en performance is directly related to the size of the room or space that it's in. Those of us who attended the Klipsch Indy Tour clearly saw the frequency response tests of various drivers & subs, and how room size vs. free space affected the low frequency performance. As the room size went down, the low-end frequency response started rolling off sooner.

absolute must is,imho,a bit strong,but there are a number of benefits:

w/a digital receiver, the bass management will send the lowest bass to the sub, so the other 5 speakers no longer have to try to play those low frequencies, making them 'work better'.

the amp will no longer have to provide power for that bass, so it has more power available for the other speakers.

the sub is 'happy' because it only has to play the lowest bass.

i have klf-30's and can tell you-the better your speakers are at playing deep bass(and klf-20/30 do a GOOD job)the better your sub has to be and perform. that's why i have the rsw-15.

AWESOME!!

avman.