Help! Academy owners.....

guitarslasherman

Hello guys, I recently won an academy off ebay. It was damaged really bad in shipping. I opened it up and both speaker magnets had fallen off. Meaning it was hit HARD. These are very strong magnets.

I placed them back on, lined up the little copper tube thing on the back, but the speakers have zero throw and no bass. It is working, but not correctly. Can anyone take off their grill and see if the academy's speakers move when you push on them? I would assume they would have a little throw.

Mine are solid like a rock!

Please, any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Firstly, I would file a claim against the shipper, the speaker was not packed properly even if it was handled very roughly. Those woofers are never going to work correctly you are going to have to replace them. When the magnet is completely sheared off the woofer frame it is never going to be the same. Klipsch still has the woofers so you can call Klipsch parts and get replacements. Damn for $500 you could have had a pair of Heresy's or Heresy II's which would be vastly superior to the Academy. Now you have to spend more cash because the idiot that shipped it to you did not double box it with a minimum of three inches of insulation between the boxes to cushion it from shock. I would be furious! I hope you held onto the box and packing so you could file a claim and I hope for your sake it was not shipped Fedex Ground they take forever to process a claim and on top of that they want to ship the speaker back to the originating terminal in the same box, they are certainly brain dead. I feel for you man, I hope you get things worked out and damn you didn't even get a grill, yikes.

=( Yes, I am hearing that the woofers are shot. Once they seperate, they are crap. Sadly it was shipped Fed Ex Ground. The speaker only had a 1/16th wrapping of small bubble wrap. The outside of the box was severly damaged as well, otherwise I would try to buy new woofers.

Yes I got hit hard on this Academy. I wanted one so badly, and I looked threw completed auctions and didnt even see 1. I knew they were rare, so I went for it. There have been 3 more academy's on ebay this week, I will have to win one of these also. I have quartets, and really want the academy for my theater.

I asked the shipper to file this with Fed ex, and asked for my money order back if he hasnt cashed it yet, but I do have a feeling this will take a while.

I appreciate your help on this. And yes I saved the boxes, it just came today.

Man I am sorry to hear that. Definite bummer. My guess is that your ultimate recourse will be with the seller for packing so poorly. I have got a friend who works for FedEx and he has told me stories about stuff that, in his opinion, was packaged adequately, but FedEx wouldn't make good on the claim. Don't have a clue as to their actual criteria for judging when they messed up. This summer, my wife Fedexed a quilt she'd made. Upon arrival it was clear that the box had been in some gasoline spill. Go figure7.gif Fortunately for her, she had packed well enough that the quilt only ended up with a gasoline smell which aired out o.k.

You might end up going through the motions with the seller on a fedex damage claim. But if you paid with PayPal, they seem to be helpful in motivating sellers to make things right. There is no way you should have to bear the cost of this misfortune. I had purchased (along with a ton of folks) a cd collection from a Canadian seller who didn't deliver the goods. I don't know what the PayPal complaint correspondence looks like when a seller receives it, but from the way the seller got in gear to resolve the complaints some six or eight weeks late, from all appearances, Paypal had threatened something swift and terrible to put the fear of God in him. Sometime after finally receiving the cd's, the seller wrote requesting, please, please please, contact Paypal and let them know the complaint was resolved satisfactorily.

Hope you will post your outcome here. Best wishes for a good result.

Regards,

Dee

We feel your pain and hope this can be resolved quickly. One of the guys i work with just got a set of Infinity speakers off of ebay. they were in mint condition when they left the seller and they also went Fed Ex needless to say they did not arrive in mint condition. One of them had been droped on the upper corner and has some major cabinet damage. He has been in touch with the seller and they are trying to work this out with Fed Ex they have the pictures of them before they were shipped as proof of their condition before shipping. we will just have to see how this gets resolved in both of these cases. Good Luck Bill

Thanks guys. Well I paid by money order. The seller is really trying to help out here. He is going threw the motions with fed ex as it was insured. We also have before and after pictures. Lets hope!!

P.S> Fed ex is picking the speaker up tomorrow to inspect. What does fed ex do with packages they pick up?

Will they trash the speaker? Will they send it out to get looked at? Will they auction it? Where does it end up?

If replacement woofers are available, it would still be cheaper to repair then for me to win another one on ebay. What makes the academy rare? What peice can't be replaced anymore?

Thanks again guys..

Have someone build you a new enclosure from the dimensions of the one you have. Remove the crossover, tweeter, and banana inputs and put them in the new enclosure. Have a custom grill fabricated for it. Purchase replacement woofers from Klipsch. Done! Look in the yellow pages for woodworkers, your not building a Khorn here it is a simple rectangular sealed box.

Fedex will send the speaker in the same crappy packing back to the originating terminal (risking even more damage) there they will assess their level of liability. If it determined that they are responsible they will send the speaker back to the seller to do with it as he sees fit. At this point you will wait and wait and wait until they process and pay the claim. You and the seller really have to keep on them to get this done. The folks I dealt with at Fedex Ground came across as totally incompetent and difficult to deal with. I did finally get a refund on the preamp they trashed. Perhaps it was the additional terminals that it was misrouted too! Idiots!

I certainly wish you the best of luck in getting this mess all sorted out. I cringe when I purchase something and the seller sends me a Fedex Ground tracking number.