physics project on sound need your expertise

i need your expertise. i'm doing a physics project on speakers and sound. so far i know that speakers work by receiving electrical impulses and those electrical impulses go through this little metal wire coil in the middle of the speaker. that coil then turns into a sort of electromagnet and it forced to move up and down because it is in a magnetic field from the speaker.

how does the movement of the cone make sound?

how does a tweeter make sound compared to a subwoofer?

what does the two wires that connect to the cone do?

what does ohms have to do with speakers i don't quite understand that?

how does an amplifier work? i keep on hearing that the amplifier lets you play music louder without distortion

what causes distortion?

i disected an old small speaker it says 8 ohms and .5 watts

what the ohms have to do with teh speaker i know that wattage has to do with power right?

what is hertz and frequency is it just pitch or something?

what does the sound pressure level mean?

thanks for helping me out. this is for my physics science fari project.

mush help is needed any info you have of anything that comes to mind will help so please type on.....

thanks

(i would never dare touch my 4.1 for this project)

------------------

bass beats melody

hmmm i don't have very technical answers for you... but here goes. anyone, feel free to correct me

how does the movement of the cone make sound?

the movement causes fluctuations in the surrounding air... and that in turn, is what "makes" the sound you hear. as far i understand it, it's sorta like dropping a pebble into water, the surrounding airwaves all push against each other and the fluctuations travel through the air, to your ears and brain, which processes what you hear.

how does a tweeter make sound compared to a subwoofer?

i'm really not quite sure what you mean by this... but tweeters are generally smaller, and are designed to play the higher frequencies within the audible range (20hz - 20000hz). whereas subwoofers play the lower (bass) frequencies, and the mid's, play everything in between. no single driver can accurately reproduce all sounds in the audible spectrum, which is why each tweeter, mid, and sub are designed to play their respective frequencies as accurately as possible.

what does ohms have to do with speakers i don't quite understand that

ohms refers to the electrical resistance that the speaker has..... i'm not too sure about home audio and such, but for car audio, subwoofers and speakers have a certain resistance in the power that they draw from the amplifier. the higher the ohm rating, the less power you will get out of the amp. of course, there is a limit, because amps are designed to run at certain loads, and you try to run a 1ohm load on an amp designed to only handle 8ohms, it probably won't run that long, and eventually fry out. the way the speaker is wired, determines the resistance (ohms) that it draws from the amp.

what is hertz and frequency is it just pitch or something?

hertz is the SI (standard) unit for frequency. frequency refers to the number of cycles of the wave per a second. the unit hertz = cycles/second. which is just the inverse of the period, which is seconds/cycle.

what does the sound pressure level mean?

SPL is basically a reference to how loud a particular audio system can get. usually rated in dB (decibels), the actual formula for measuring SL is a logarithmic function, meaning that an increase of 10dB from say 100 to 110 is a doubling in sound intensity (not a 10% increase).

hey thanks guys guess what i got first place in my class

but not in the school though but hey i'm proud and happy

thanks for all your help!

------------------

bass beats melody

This message has been edited by deaf guy on 05-27-2001 at 09:26 PM

Hey p_a_r_a_d_i_g_m

I am not trying to put down a speaker system I have not heard before. But those Paradigm do not appear to make a good PC system, but may still be the best HT system for the money. I have the original 4.1 system and I like it. Compared to any other PC speaker system, they are my choice. I read the review on the Sound and Vision site and I notice a few things you failed to mention.

First, the Paradigm system has no control panel, pod, or what have you. According to the article and photos, the only controls are a volume and phase switch mounted on the sub. Who wants to reach down to the sub to adjust the volume, and this probably only adjusts the sub. I think this would not be a problem for a HT system, but this is a whole new ball game when it comes to a PC speaker system. How many PC speaker systems do you know of that do not have controls mounted on the speakers or a panel near the speakers. I really would not like to use the PCs OS to adjust the contols all the time. You may be able to buy a control to do this for you, but that would mean your $716 price tag would go up.

Second, quote from the article; "The surrounds, which sound great if placed correctly, can become distractingly directional if you're sitting too close to them." I think this could become a problem for a PC system, which a majority of PC users will have there front satelites mounted within a foot or so of their computer monitor. They also say that the surrounds will sound their best if "placed above your seated position". This could be another problem for these speakers. Maybe the positioning is not that big of an issue, but I am just using the article you keep putting up links to.

These speakers may sound great, maybe even better than the Klipsch system. I can not say for 2 reasons. First, I have not heard the Paradigm system. Second, I have not seen reviews of both systems by the same people. I feel this would be a good comparison. But, like you may have noticed, most everyone that has responded to you has made a negative comment about the price. Another problem you are getting into is a Chevy Camaro vs. Ford Mustang type debate. Which can be argued until someone turns blue in the face or dies. One other question I have, and I do not know the answer. Is, "Which system came out first?" The Paradigm or the Klipsch Quartet, because one looks like a copy of the other.

Dayton, an extremely happy ProMedia customer.

This message has been edited by daytontp on 05-28-2001 at 02:12 AM