DVD glitches

FreeRadical

I've gotten several DVDs lately that I had to return because of technical problems. The discs didn't have any scratches or other defects that I could see. I had to return the first season of MASH because on one of the episodes the picture would lock up. The new one plays fine. I also had to return the new Led Zeppelin DVD because the sound would cut in and out on the center channel. I brought the new one home and it sounds fine. I just watched my brand new copy of the The Two Towers and on scene 51 the screen locks up and skips forward about 10 seconds. The first time it did this it jumped back about an hour before where it was. On repeated viewings it skips forward a few seconds. I know my DVD player is not the problem because it gets used almost everyday and plays other DVDs just fine. Can someone explain to me what is going on here? Is there something in the information on the disc that is causing these problems.

I've not had this problem.

Just as a start of analysis this seems to be a mistracking problem where the optical system looses (sp?) lock on the digital track.

So lets talk about:

1) The sound vibrations from the speakers at high levels are jiggling the pick up system. That has been a problem with audio CDs, maybe the same with DVDs. Some have reported that my bath towel suggestion helps. I doubt you're cranking MASH though.

2) Maybe some of the DVDs use more finely spaced tracks or multilayering which is challenging for the pick up system.

3) The combination of 1) and 2) plus that the player is getting cranky because of dust on the lens.

Gil

Check the web. Your player might have some firmware problems and will not work with all dvds. Sometimes you just need to flash the FW and off you go. Other times, there is no FW update, so you are stuck. Have you tried the DVDs in another player.. like a friend or the computer?

If the dvd works fine in the other player.. then yes.. it is your player.