About to purchase

nodi

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that this is my first post here. I have been hanging around for a while now, and watching what everyone has said about speakers and receivers. I am getting close to that time of making my purchase and just wanted to see if anyone had any opinions or last minute advice for me. I have listened to the RF-35s and RS-35s numerous times now and I have fallen in love with them. I'm getting a price of:

RF-35 = $899

RS-35 = $539

Is this a pretty standard price or should I be happy with that. I may be able to deal the place a little lower if need be. Also I listened to them on an NAD T762 but was looking to spend a little less on the receiver. What I was planning on getting was the HK AVR 325. Do you think that the power from this should be alright with this set of speakers? I'm willing to go a little higher but I thought I was getting a pretty good deal on it at $575. I listened to the HK 225 on a different set of speakers (satellites) and I thought it pushed them pretty good. If you have any opinions or advice, it would really put my mind at ease with the purchase. Thanks for the help guys and hope to talk to you in the future.

nodi

Nodi, welcome to the board, I am a newbie to this board too, hehe 9.gif

I just got my RF-35 set a few days ago, and haven't posted a review / comment yet since I haven't fully auditioned them yet. But, I can tell you that you won't regret buying them. I auditioned before buying them @ GoodGuys and loved them. I looked up the lowest price on the net and took the print out to Goodguys, and they match the price pretty close to online price, maybe 15% above it.

I'm not sure on the retail of the speaks. But I can put in a word for the receiver. I was not so sure about the "power" of the H/K line of receivers...until m00n showed me the light! That would be an excellent receiver I think for the speakers. But might I suggest something? I was in the same boat money wise and decided to go the H/K refurb'd route. I was able to pick up a AVR 525 with full warranty refurb for around $550. They retail at $999. I would suggest looking into that. I shopped at onecall.com and was totally satisfied on the selection.

I'm not sure on the retail of the speaks. But I can put in a word for the receiver. I was not so sure about the "power" of the H/K line of receivers...until m00n showed me the light! That would be an excellent receiver I think for the speakers. But might I suggest something? I was in the same boat money wise and decided to go the H/K refurb'd route. I was able to pick up a AVR 525 with full warranty refurb for around $550. They retail at $999. I would suggest looking into that. I shopped at onecall.com and was totally satisfied on the selection.

Thanks for your posts so far. I'm getting closer to a decision for the route on the receiver I am going to take. I checked out onecall for a price but the cheapest they have is an open box for $539. I'd rather stay away from open boxes. I could probably get the 525 from the dealer for around $799 (maybe a little cheaper). Do you think it would be a good idea to go this route?

nodi

----------------

On 8/29/2003 8:54:35 AM nodi wrote:

I'd rather stay away from open boxes.

nodi

----------------

Just out of curosity, why? When they go back to H/K they completly test them and ensure there is nothing wrong with them. They rebox them and it's like brand new again with all the paperwork. That's how I got my projector. It was a factory referb. I don't regret it one bit. Has been rock solid.

You can save money this way.... 1.gif

I know a lot of people that have refurbished equipment and it has been great for them, but I'm really just a big worrier and for ease of mind I guess (although not always rational) I would probably pay an extra $50 or $100 for a brand new piece of equipment than a refurbished. If I could get passed that I could probably come out with a much better receiver (for a similar price) than the one I am looking at now (AVR-325) but I just let that kind of stuff bother me too much. Not that I think its wrong to buy refurbished, thats just the way I am I guess. Thank you for introducing me to the refurbished market though. I may take some extra time now and go looking for a better receiver before I just lay down the $575 for the AVR-325. I appreciate the replys so far and please keep them coming. I'm supposed to go tomorrow to the dealer about the speakers and the receiver, but now I may hold off. Thanks again.

nodi