Television suggestions

Deang

"Do you see the rainbow effect with either the Infocus or the Dell?..... "

Yes after it rains and the sun comes out.9.gif

Actually I did see the rainbow effect when I first saw a DLP projector but since then I hardly ever see it. A lot of people report seeing them at first and over time they disappear. I have seen rainbows on certain scenes of a movie in the past and can not see them now. I always try to get people to see them with a light on dark scene while blinking their eyes and shaking their head so they know what I'm talking about. Some don't even see them this way and out of the more than 60 people that have viewed my projectors only a dozen or so saw them durring regular viewing and then it was only for a fraction of a second. Usually it's when the phone rings or something like that and you look away from the screen and look back quickly. The flash is so quick that most people question weather they saw it. That's why I get them to shake their head and all that crap so they know for sure if they saw one. It has been reported that some people see them all the time which would be very distracting but I personally have never met anyone like this because they are rare.

"Is there a major picture quality difference, pixel seperation, displayed between the

X1 (SVGA) and the 3200 MP (XVGA)?......"

Depends on the projector. The X1 and 3200MP were the best SVGA & XGA DLP projectors that I viewed in their price range. Compared to each other using a HTPC at the propper viewing distance the difference in the two is not noticable when watching a DVD. You will notice a difference when displaying games and 2D images like your desktop,browser or viewing text. At the same time XGA is not always the answer. A friend spent 5k on a projector without consulting me and assumed because it cost more $ it was better. It is a 5k hunk of crap that was in no way designed for home theater. You really need to view these things before you buy.

"how does the 4:3 handle 16:9 material, in regards Letter boxing?"

The next projector I buy will be widescreen but I went with 4:3 because I'm a gamer. I watch more 4:3 material so that's why I did not go widescreen. I have a 16:9 RPTV and I hardly ever use it because I hate black bars and I refuse to zoom. For a projector it is easy to rig up a masking system so it's not a problem.

----------------

On 8/30/2003 10:24:28 PM DeanG wrote:

I'm finally done with my two channel system, and I'm ready to do a little bit of this HT thing. I had considered getting back into vinyl, but to get to a evel that would actually satisfy me -- I would have to sell off my firstborn.

I recently purchased four sets of a very old favorite of mine off of eBay. I'm in the process of restoring these vintage Original Advent Loudspeakers for a basement HT system. Right now I'm doing the cabinets, and when I'm finished with that, I'll be rebuilding the crossovers with premium parts. I will probably DIY the sub from Parts Express.

So, by the end of winter I will be shopping for a new television and HT receiver. I may buy another CD player for my two-channel system, and move my Sony 9000es downstairs to source the HT system. I'd be interested in hearing some thoughts on this as well.

I'm stressed over the television thing. I pretty much only like direct view. Ha! I like tubes, what did you expect? There are also some space limitations, and chances are I will be forced to go with 36". I know very little about HT because I started losing track of HT technology about 4 years ago. I'm interested in televisions in the $1000 to $1500 range. I'm also interested in DVD players IF they can provide a better picture than my 9000es for $500.

I need to know what I need, to do HDTV, or if I can even do it with the money I'm willing to spend. I want to understand the difference between 1080i and that other wierd thing I can never remember. I'm curious about line doublers, and interlacers (is that what they are).

My receiver will probably end up being a used B&K.

Varied opinions would be appreciated. Senseless rambling and babbling are fine too.

----------------

Use the 3:1 rule on screen size. If most or half of your viewing is Sat or Cable..go for the 4:3. If mostly

DVD's Wide Screen formatt thou should go. I wouldn't

worry about HDTV at this time. If you like Direct View

TV don't pass up the 40" from Sony. You should be able to

get one for under $2,500. If you go widescreen..i would

go with either a projector of plasma. The Direct View

widescreens are are not big enough unless you have a small

room and sit 6' away from it.

For every 1' of screen size idealy you should be

sitting 3' back from the TV. So for for a 36" TV

the setting position will be 9'. It's more of a

guidiline but seems to work fairly well. I will

concede that this is not as applicable with

High-Definition or Progressive Scan DVD since there

picture is so much sharper.

Oh I thought you might be referring to the recommended seating distance for projector screens which is 2 x the screen width which is the actual width not the diagonal. I personally prefer to sit 1.5 x the width. I guess this makes me the exception to your rule because you recommend sitting 9ft from a 36-inch diagonal TV where as I sit 10ft from a 100-inch diagonal screen. I guess this also means you sit 10ft from your 40-inch Sony. Man if I was you Id be like 5ft to 6ft from that thing trying to give myself the feeling of a big screen but thats me. I just realized that with your rule I would have to sit 25ft from my screen. Do you see where Im going with this?

DeanG if youre interested in projectors the two best projectors in your price range are the InFocus X1 and Sanyo Z1. X1 is a 4:3 800x600 DLP projector and the Z1 is a 16:9 964x544 LCD projector. Both projectors are awesome for the price which I believe is around $999 for the X1 and $1299 for the Z1. These are rough figures so you can probably get them for less if you shop around. Do yourself a favor and go see these projectors before you buy anything. If you dont like them youve lost nothing but some time.

Samsung's DLP RPTV's are awesome. I almost bought the 50-inch model. If you want a lot of user info on them go to http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ under the Rear Projection Units section. We had a power buy on the Samsung's a while back and I would say it is the most popular RPTV used by the members. You should find everything you need to know. Good luck.