Help picking a rear channel speaker

bkyarddog

The Forte' is a larger floor standing speaker with a much lower frequency response than the Heresy/Heresy II, it extends into the 30Hz range while the Heresy fizzles out in the 50-60hz region. It is the same width and depth just considerably taller. The tweeter in the Forte' is the same as in the Heresy II, but not the original Heresy. If you are looking to timbre match against the Khorns I would suggest getting a pair of the original Heresy's especially if your Khorns are older than say 1986 or so. The Heresy II's tweeter is the same as the Forte's and the same used in the Academy the K-76K if I am not mistaken. I use a pair of Heresy II's in the rear along with a pair of La Scala's. The Heresy II's are performing as rear effects centers. Either would be a good choice, if you have the room go for the Forte's they sell for about the same price as a pair of Heresy/Heresy II's or just slightly more. Unless you plan on suspending them on a wall, keep in mind the Forte' uses a Passive Radiator (Drone) in the rear of the speaker and needs to be kept a certain distance away from the wall to perform properly.

Dog

I posted this in the Heritage thread to your question, but I'll repeat it here.

I use to use Fortes and switched to Heresys for my sides and rears of my 7.1 system. The reason is that I found mounting the sides and rears over your head angling down to your sweet spot gives you a lot more 3D sounding surround effects.

The Forte is impossible to wall mount. Best used for mains in a smaller room IMHO.

JM