Sub with Music

Somperson

First off I have Quintets. Newbie builder and this was the way to go with price. Don't get me wrong as with almost anybody agreeing with me that these babies kick it for the dollars especially for Surround Sound. I want to do 5ch music, I'm unsure if the sub plays under 2ch, or 5ch, or whether I have to do some kind of prologic or 5.1 reproduction such as Dolby II or Haramn Kardon's 5.1 reproduction. Then also what would be a good sub to get around the 200-400$ range. Klip, velo, paradigm, polk whatever cause I'm undecided. I just need one that can complete the sound range from the quint's to the low deep sub as best as i can. I did a search and I don't think anyone have posted the range of a quintet in logical terms so that a fairly newbie can understand it. What to do this MSG Board can help I've seen it done. So think music from quints, making the sub play to get the lows the quints don't hit.

Also anyone ever get any of those open box deals a circuit city or another store along that line cause i hear you can save pretty big..?

JPK

-Always Learin'-

For 200-400 bucks, I'd opt for the Klip KSW12. It will work nicely with your quints. Your RECIEVER needs to be able to process 5 channel stereo. Without it, no deal. How big is your room?

Be weary of open box deals. I used to work at Best Buy. Some of those are great deals, others are abused junk that can't get fixed right. Either way..it's a gamble.

T-man

Well t-man I am going mostly towards a Harman Kardon they have 5ch stereo as most manufactures do now... It's that or either a Denon which many people recommend. I wouldn't mind getting a nice 6.1 system for about $400 or under, but not much luck other than a Pioneer which I don't really want. Just to make sure cuase i don't remember if you said it, but 5ch stereo does play the sub? Or do I have to goto 5.1 reproduction like Dolby II or Logic 7 on the HK?

JPK

-Always Learin'-

Yes, 5 channel uses the sub, as does every mode with my Denon (entry level 1601/681). It does this using either the sub out, or connecting sub via speaker level. I don't think you can get a good DTS 6.1 receiver for $400.

H/K, I'm sure, is fine equip. You don't need much power for those efficient quints, especially if hooking up a powered sub. 60 watts / channel should be enough, but only if it's clean, and good power.

T-man

talktoKeith you Told me to Post where I live... why you ask I don't know. But it is Glenmoore PA Zip - 19343. If you need anything else let me know at somperson@aol.com.

I'm looking to get a open box deal at Circuit City if I can, otherwise I'll look to buy it online. Just for your info I have 4 quintets Mounted up on the walls as Fronts and Rears and I have a friend with a matching center which he doesn't use. I will probably buy that from him to match the soundstage as dougdrake told me to. I'm looking at a Polk, Velodyne, Klipsch (of course, or Infinity, or any other brands recommended. I'm open to anything and the sub is very important to me to complete the low frequency.

I guess that's it anything else post it or e-mail and I will fill anyone in.. You guys are fantastic...

JPK

Som - You won't go wrong with the Klipsch subs (like the 12") or Velodyne. You can find the Klipsch's on Ebay a lot (just be aware you may not have a factory warranty on them). I have a Velo CT-120 that I found at a garage sale for $125 and it does great.

Doug