RF-5 vs. RF-7

marcinelli

----------------

On 9/4/2003 3:34:30 PM marcinelli wrote:

Hello,

I'm evaluating whether a complete RF-7 5.1 set up (all 6 pieces) is worth an extra $1,500 over an RF-5 set up. Can anyone provide any advice? Thx.

Michael

----------------

In my opinion, I say yes!. Spend the extra $1,500 if you can swing it! In the long run, you will be much happier.

I have a pair of RF-5s in my systems (used as surrounds) along with a pair of RF-7s as mains. I did do a directly comparison between the two models of speakers. The RF-7s can go louder at a given volume, the bass is much stronger, cleaner and fuller. It just has that much more "authority". The mid-range is smoother as well. Overall, the RF-7s just has better dynamics than the RF-5s (but the RF-5s are no slouch of a speaker!)

Again, to reiterate - if you can cough up the cash, than in the long run, I think you'll be much happier just to "go for it" and get the RF-7s and be done with it and not even look back.

Here's another way to look at it. Despite the increase in efficiency between RF5 and RF7 (what about 2 dB), if you play them at the same volume, the RF7, having TWO woofer cones, will only have to move HALF as much, therefore, much lower distortion in the bass region. Besides, bigger boxes are ALWAYS better! I know, I've got Cornwalls! At least spring for 7's across the front, even if ya need to use smaller cabinets in the rear.

what was i thinking! ask a bunch of male geeks whether to get the bigger better system? duh! no surprise that eveyone said go for the RF-7. and, that's exactly what i'll do, baby. YEAH!

thx all for your help and encouragement during my moment of doubt.

your brother in male geekdom,

michael

Are the RF7's worth the extra $$$...a resounding YES.

Do not even think twice unless...you cannot spend any more or dont want larger speakers.But if the money is good and space you have then by all means GET THE RF7's

I have TWO PAIRS of RF7's and let me tell ya,they are worth EACH CENT THEY COST

I am telling you this and I have a pir of RF5's(used as side sourrounds)and while these are very good speakers they are not in the RF7's EFORTLESS league,a league where only the best Klipsch belong(mostly Hritage,the real deal PWK designs).

Above all enjoy your Klipsch and good luck