RC35 shielding/interference

cjgeraci

I recently purchased a RC-35 for my system and moved my KLF-C7 to the rear (temporarily). The RC-35 sits on top of a Magnavox 35 inch tube television that is about ten years old. I have notified a faint hum coming through the speaker whenever my TV is on, regardless of whether my receiver is on or not. I do not recall ever experiencing this with the KLF-C7. There have been posts on this site talking about the new reference centers as being less shielded than some others. Has anyone else experienced the above or have any recommendations short of immediately purchasing a new TV? The TV does not appear to be distorting color-wise. 7.gif

Have you had any luck so far trouble shooting it? Have you tried

1) raising it off the TV... at which point does the sound stop?

2) rerouting the wires away from the set (in case)

3) placing a metal sheet between it and the TV

4) check for ground loop problems... (ie: disconnect the cable, try cheater plug, etc...)

It's kinda surprising that the TV can generate a large enough magnetic field to move the speakers... I always thought the shielding was more to protect the TV that the speakers. I don't think it's reasonable that you should be forced to replace your set...

Let us know if you've made any progress...

Rob

I notice this from my RC3II. However, it is extreamly quiet and I can only notice it if no other sound is coming through the speaker and I stick my ear right up next to the tweeter.

I don't know if there is much that can be done about it other than moving the speaker farther from the TV.

This may seem like a dumb question... have you tried to see if the noise continues when you unplug the speaker? How about if you just unplug the audio-out of the TV?

I was thinking about it, and something just struck me... if you are driving the speaker with a modern receiver, it probably doesn't "power down" when you turn it off... rather it goes into "standby" mode. I could think of two additional causes for your woes:

1) With power always being fed to the unit, and the TV output feeding a signal to the receiver input, you may be getting some seepage even though the receiver is in standby. I used to get this with an old preamp where I could faintly hear a non-selected source which would be playing. Obviously in my case the power was on for both the amp and the pre as they pre-dated the remote controlled units

2) Also based on the idea that there is always some power to the unit, you may be getting some ground loop problems showing up even though the power to the unit is off. It might not be noticeable when the unit is powered up as the source material drowns out the hum.

I'm just thinking aloud... hopefully some of my ramblings may lead you in the right direction...

Rob