is my sub becoming boomy?!

tpg

Hey all... my concern is with my DIY DPL-12 based sonosub... I am powering this with a 1100W pro audio amp. In my room, at listening position, it sounds great. Even though it is sealed, it slams harder than my ported KSW-12. However, when it comes to the bass sustain, the KSW-12 beats it. ex. kick drum at beginning of bass player's note. The drum hits and BAM is loud as heck, but then the bass drops out to a pretty low level while the KSW keeps playing. Again, though, it sounds great.

However, then we go downstairs to the room directly under mine. Down there, the bass is not audible... instead, there is a loud almost cracking sound... a PTTC if you will.... it worries me. Is my sub somehow doing something wrong? It is downfiring, and the DPL-12 is not made for that app... could it be messing the sub up?

As I listen now, it sounds great. I worry too much about my audio stuff...

Coming up next (if I ever get a chance to work on it): w-fold horn loaded 15" subwoofer 9.gif (I need something to fill the space between my two front subs)

Oh... I also need to finish my other sonosub (should use Shiva, unless I find something else...)

I am turning into Ear. 2.gif (but I cannot afford to buy all the subs... I must build)

Dunno... I have a 15" Tempest in a 3CF sealed box with a 250W Adire plate amp on it and the thing is tight and kicks like a mofo. The only complaint is the lack of 35Hz-> response but I don't care so much for that because I'm not a HT maniac but I'll try a 9CF box later in winter. By the way how big is your enclosure? Also downfiring shouldn't make any difference at all.

Then I better change my "name" to TheWOOFER because at the current rythm I will be a ONE SUBHUMAN WOOFER.

Subs do not become boomy(they do if you raise the cutoff frequency and or move the sub to a nasty corner).

Unless your cabinet soaked water and lost its stifness,then its called a mellow bass by Stereophile.1.gif