Klipsch internal speaker wiring replacement

levir

I meant the actual speaker component (as in woofer, etc)...internal wiring is very small gauge. PWK just used zip cord in his original designs. But why not experiment -get some heavy gauge wire and some small gauge wire and see if you can hear the difference ... the lengths will be short so the cost will be minimal.

Only to satisfy yourself... wire is controversial ... people spend amazing sums on wire ... IMHO on short runs any reasonable gauge wire will work as well as any other ... yet some people swear by certain brands of wire, claiming all sorts of improvements ... speaker wire over short to medium runs is all the same according to many ... low level interconects if they are sturdy and well shielded are pretty much the same also IMHO ... You will get passionate opinions to the contrary, however. I use some moderatly expensive interconnects for teir durability and shielding ... I use a Monster bi-wire cable harness for my K-horns because it makes a neat package with some clever and handy screw-on terminations ... however I won't be replacing PWKs internal wires ... by the way, I did't see much difference in the bi-wiring from the single zip cord I used previously ... maybe a little more clarity ... much, much bigger diffference when I installed AL K's crossovers.

In short, I would spend the money on better components before I would spend a lot on wires.

The only reason I suggested you experiment is so you can say with assurance, as I can, "There's very litttle to no difference".

• 2 months later...

Hey thanks. I called them and Alk does not have an upgrade on my KG 5.5. I did found a another supplier and replaced the caps with Hovland caps. Since the size of the Hovland are large, I ended up using different pcb and upgraded all x-over network components with better parts. The sound is more defined with improvements in resolution and definition. The mids have superior timbre, texture, clarity and musical naturalness. Highs are more natural and clear. Gone is the brightness.

I have upgraded interconnects and wires in the past but this mod give me performance and value. I recommnend this upgrade to older speakers.

post-12683-13819249116472_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I will tell you later. I have not seen a KG5.5 filter upgrade until I had the time and courage to open mine. I then took the original components values and replaced them with better parts minus the protection circuit.

Silver wire costs $$$ so I used an .99% oxygen free flat copper wire.

Check www.alkeng.com Here is your future x-over.

netb.jpg

----------------

On 12/19/2003 3:30:38 AM Jitze wrote:

I would just use a pure copper wire, such as Monster OMC or a Kimber wire, never a silvercoated wire, this will make the sound of the mids and highs somewhat raw.

Anybody upgraded a Heresy II filter ?

----------------

• Like 1