Help with hooking RSW 15 up to receiver.

Diss

Ok just got my RSW 15 and with that crappy manual, and a me being a total newb when it comes to Home Theater, I'am not sure what to do. I have a subout on the reciever, and the RSW 15 has 2 RCA connections for input, do I need a y-conector and plug into both of the inputs( left and right), or do I just plug into 1 input(Right or Left)?

And any sugestions for cables, I was considering the Monser Bass 300 The length its gonna need to be is about 24'.

Thanks

Brandon

You don't have to split your sub out but someone mentioned that if you do and use both inputs you will gain 2-3dB. I don't know if that's true and I have not tried it out because I get enough complaints now as it is. would be interesting if someone could confirm this.

• 8 years later...

No Y-adapter is necessary. The gain in dB that you get from using both inputs isn't something that can't be gained by simply turning the sub's master volume knob up a bit. A Y-adapter can't give the sub more overall headroom. If you end up operating an RSW-15 at anywhere near the maximum volume setting then you have some other major issues to deal with that a Y-adapter isn't going to help with at all.

So, connect from your AVR's subwoofer output to one of the sub's inputs labeled LINE IN. Set the LOW PASS switch to DISABLE. This should disable the sub's low-pass filter but just to be safe set the low-pass filter as high as possible, too. My experience with the RSW-15 is that it is best to just leave the sub ON all the time. I would recommend you disable the AutoON. If your AVR has some sort of AutoCAL/AutoEQ software such as Audyssey or MCACC, then set the polarity switch to 0°. Otherwise, you are on your own to determine the best setting for the polarity switch, empirically.

If the Monster cable's price is reasonable, then it will be fine. But there is no need to spend a lot of money on a cable. Any decent cable should work.