laying conwall's on side

jgatty

You may have seen that early CW's had the long edge of the mid and tweeter vertical. Some plans by EV using very similar components had this too.

So, you're doing the same by putting them on the side.

Some people have strong opinions on the virtue of the early orientation.

The EV spec sheet on the T-35 tweeter shows some difference in horizonal and vertical dispursion. None the less, it doesn't look like anything I'd worry about.

The mid dispursion may be more different. I suspect that, contrary to what is intuitive, the small height of the mid, when the long side is horizontal, leads to diffraction in the vertical, putting more sound to the ceiling and floor (creating reflections). So I believe there are more, real issues of directionality of the the mid horn.

As you can imagine, this says a lot about the horn spraying out sound at different wavelengths/frequencies in a horzontal or vertical plane. However, it creates a bit of a conundrum about what is best in your room.

For example, one orientation may have better control in horizontal. But it may, may, turn out better for you that the side lobes are best kept off the ceiling and floor; or, in distinction, kept off the walls.

It is my belief that the present "tratrix" horns used by Klipsch are pretty much symetrical in dispursion,and narrow, and thus pretty much keep a beamed pattern away from both walls, and floors and ceilings.

Best,

Gil