DVD Player Recommendation

Jabez Scratch

I'm looking for a new DVD player b/c my current one is decent, but fairly low-budget. I have been looking at the Pioneer Elite DV-45A (the second from the top model in the Pioneer Elite DVD line). I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 43TX A/V receiver and I love it. I have read nothing but positive reviews about this DVD player. But do I really need a $1,000 (Canadian) DVD player? That sounds like a question only I can answer. If anyone has any comments or other recommendations re: a good, higher end DVD player, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:19:40 AM Jabez Scratch wrote:

I'm looking for a new DVD player b/c my current one is decent, but fairly low-budget. I have been looking at the Pioneer Elite DV-45A (the second from the top model in the Pioneer Elite DVD line). I have the Pioneer Elite VSX 43TX A/V receiver and I love it. I have read nothing but positive reviews about this DVD player. But do I really need a $1,000 (Canadian) DVD player? That sounds like a question only I can answer. If anyone has any comments or other recommendations re: a good, higher end DVD player, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thanks.

----------------

I have the DV-45A. A good player. Cheap in price if you get it off the net. Bass Management is weak. You will need to get a Outlaw ICBM in order to really enjoy SACDs. I am dissappointed in the bass output for music. AS far as video goes.. I like the picture, but many people complain about the chroma bug. Do a search in google to find out what that is.

The Samsung seems impressive. One Caveat about the Samsung, you have to have a DVI input on your TV. You need to get DVI-D cables too. If your TV is far away from the player, this cable will run you a few bucks. Its not cheap. Not all HDTVs have a DVI input. The early models didn't. Most of the late models do. The Bravo D1 is a similar player at 100.00 less.. $199.00. Both are faroudja DCDi powered and DVI cable output.

IF you are mainly watching movies, the Bravo D1 is something to look at. If you want a universal player.. the DV-45a is a good option. I think by the time you get the ICBM from outlaw though, you are already at the same price as DV47Ai. ALso getting the Ai will allow you to think about upgrading to the 55TXi for SACD ilink.

If you do not want the SACDs, the Denon 1600 is a champ and plays DVD-As. Its being discontinued right now, so you might find some deals on it.

Yes, the Philips 963sa is a worthy contender. I actually have one, and brain-blanked when I was making suggestions above -- just got it and have been reading so much about the new Denon models that I totally spaced it out. However, for the time being, I'm just using it on my analog TV via component interlaced output, so I can't personally vouch for its progressive and DCDi capabilities. I do feel, though, that even its interlaced output is much better than the Denon DVD-3000 it replaces in my rack.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 5:27:22 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

The Denon 2200 might be a good option..don't know.

There is a sub $200 Pioneer universal player at Best Buy that many find attractive for SACD and DVD-A.

For DVI I've enjoyed the BRAVO with a NEC HT1000 but the unit doesn't play dirty/damaged discs well at all.

What about the Phillips 963s?

----------------

The Pioneer at Best Buy I think was 179.99 as of last weekend. Sharp looking unit. you give up the better DACS and the progressive scan I think is not the same as the elite line, but for 179.99 and its a universal player.. its a pretty good deal.

----------------

On 9/16/2003 1:46:02 AM dougdrake wrote:

Yes, the Philips 963sa is a worthy contender. I actually have one, and brain-blanked when I was making suggestions above -- just got it and have been reading so much about the new Denon models that I totally spaced it out. However, for the time being, I'm just using it on my analog TV via component interlaced output, so I can't personally vouch for its progressive and DCDi capabilities. I do feel, though, that even its interlaced output is much better than the Denon DVD-3000 it replaces in my rack.

----------------

DD-

DCDi Capabilities are a slight improvement over regular progressive scan using component video cables. It cleans up some of the jaggedness when you are up close to a RPTV. I think its a little harder to tell if you are watching on a CRT.. at least to my eyes. However, the feeling is, DCDi on the DVI output guys are supposed to be a sharper image since its a pure digital signal output. No ceonversions needed. I have been debating whether to get the Bravo D1 or the Samsung for just movies and still keep the universal player for everything else.