Can an HK225 power the Synergy's?

MarvinG

Is an Harmon Kardon AVR 225 (conservatively rated at 55W x 5)an acceptable match Klipsch Synergy SB-3/SC-1/SS-1/ KSW-1?

I may be crazy , but while I had my heart set on the HK525 for the longest time, it occurs to me that:

-I'll be purchasing a 5.1 system (cost and room dimensions) likely the Klipsch Synergy

-I dont need component video switching

-I dont need gobs of power for my 11 x 17 den, especially with efficient speakers

-I have a custom MDF rack that is only 17.5 inches wide, so I have restricted air flow on the sides ( though open at back and on top), so if I dont need the extra power/heat, why push it.

Thoughts?

Marvin

The 525 is rated at 70wpc X 5. Since doubling the amplifier power yields a mere 3dB increase in max volume (another way to say this is that halving the amplifier power reduces the max volume by 3dB), reducing the amplifier's rated output from 70wpc to 55wpc only reduces the max volume of your speakers by about 1.5dB. That's a barely noticeable decrease in volume and since it would only even come into play at maximum volume, you won't even notice it. Given the efficiency of the Synergy's, they will still play louder than 90% of the rest of the speakers on the market, even with a 55wpc amplifier. This is a real, real general analysis.

• 2 weeks later...

NOT just any receiver will do, Ear. In fact, most of the black tin boxes sold as receivers these days are woefully inadequate to the task of driving super-sensitive and dynamic big ole horns. The harmon/kardon model does seem to be an exception, apparently, according to the posters here, the Denon models are also exceptions, but I have yet to hear one.

2.gif