Another TypeA/1st order crossover question

dhsettim

Hi Ya All, I understand that there is no tweeter protection, but what amount of power is risky? I have a GTA SE40 amp with 40 watts into 8 ohms. Is this safe? I am going to parallel a 6uF Hoveland with a 6.8uF Solen but will set up the crossover so that I can substitute an oil cap for the Solen to compare. Tim.

There are probably two issues in electrical engineering. And one in common sense.

(1) The AA and such have a steeper roll off to protect against lower frequencies to getting into the tweeter. (2) Also, the more recent ones have level protection in the form of a poly switch or Zeners to cut off any frequency above a given level.

PWK wrote that these modifications over the A were made when users bought high power amps, by implication, solid state though not necessarially so, and began burning out tweeters. The T-35A/K-77 will only take about 5 watts.

I don't quite get the circumstances of the abuse. Like with many mechanical failures of anything, people probably get drunk or stoned and engage in folly.

For example one Rush Street bar here in Chicago had the most awfull sounding system. I took a peek into the room of amps. Each was being driven into the yellow and the red was not too far away on the bar graph. Then there were the upstairs neigboors in my old, stout, abode. There must have been 30 people dancing to some enormously loud music. The walls were shaking, perhaps challenging structural overload.

So, I don't think you have to worry about the amp power, rolloff, or protection circuits. This assuming you take things easy and reasonable. Recognizable distortion in the system, or your ears, will tell you to back off.

I get a bit annoyed when the conditions for any piece of equipment is pushed to 99% of ultimate failure on a regular basis. Then people say, "Gee, it broke, must be a piece of junk."

But seriously, the A type gets good reviews. You'll be just fine.

Gil

Tweeter diaphragm excursion goes roughly as the recirocal of the square of the frequency.

Distortion is roughly linear with excursion. The AA is a significantly better network for the already challenged little T35. The AA also provides a little boost to the output at 6kHz before settling out which is useful in overcoming the 5-7kHz notch observed in this tweeters response.

Unless you're outside or have a baronial livingroom, you should be fine. More than a couple of watts per channel with a K-Horn or LaScala will be loud enough to peel a grape anyway under anything like normal conditions. If you are worried about it, put a 3/4 amp or so fast blow fuse in series with the tweeter.