Looking for the coefficient of soundboard

m00n

It's either 1/2 or 5/8. I don't know the official name, but here is a pic of it.

It's going to be used for low frequency sound absorbtion. I plan on making panels using this and rigid fiberglass as talked about here in this article www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

So basically what I am trying to do is get information on various fiberglass, soundboard so I can see what frequencies I can absorb.

ShelfFromTop2.jpg

m00n:

I don't know if this will help you, but I found this thread today on the STC-rating of soundboard (Sound-Transmission Class). It also has a link at the bottom of it's page to more information. I hope this helps!

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/soundbd1.html

Additional info: http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/faq10.html

-Picky 1.gif

M00n:

If you really want to take the time and treat your room properly, I suggest you the F. Alton Everest's book "Acoustic Techniques for Home and Studio".

This is a must have for any serious audio enthusiast. I used many of the suggestions for getting the right materials to treat my room. The problem comes in getting the materials, many manufacturers will not sell to the public or unless you buy the stuff by the truckload.

I do know that getting a bass absorber thick enough to be useful can be cost prohibitive. You might consider bass traps of one design or another.

In my case, I made some bass tube traps, and they worked extrememly well.

The sound coefficient of 1/2" fiberboard (often used as 'soundboard') such as Celetex or Homosote is 0.30 to 0.40.

Using 0.35 should be adequate & put you in the ballpark for calcuation purposes

----------------

On 9/28/2003 12:04:11 PM Rudy81 wrote:

M00n:

If you really want to take the time and treat your room properly, I suggest you the F. Alton Everest's book "Acoustic Techniques for Home and Studio".

----------------

I have it and I am trying it's just a bit over my head is all. 4.gif

The NRC, or Noise Reduction Coefficient is defined as the arithmetic mean (average) of sound absorption coefficients at 250, 500, 1000, and 2000 Hz, rounded to the nearest 0.05 metric sabin per square meter.

A NRC rating of 0.25 for instance means that there is an AVERAGE of 25% reduction in reflected sound from that material at those frequencies.

In some measurement testing, 125Hz might also be added. Sometimes not. Depends on the testing laboratory & what the manufacturer wants. Some labs just measure the absorption of the main front surface, others include the edges, or depth of the material. Unfortunately, theres a lot of gray area here & its not all black & white.